jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Which are the best science fiction stories? Utopias or Dystopias?

1. arthurchappell profile image38
    arthurchappellposted 7 years ago

Which are the best science fiction stories? Utopias or Dystopias?

Utopian stories - optimistic about our future Dystopian - pessimistic about our future

2. karenfreemansmith profile image62
    karenfreemansmithposted 7 years ago

I always prefer the utopias... but most have some hidden drawbacks and it's the suprises or looking deeper that make the stories work so well for me.

3. Popelton profile image58
    Popeltonposted 7 years ago

The answer changes for everyone, but my personal belief is that the Dystopian future is more interesting. Many people enjoy stories with decent conflict, and a true dystopia has never been experienced by our society (but then again, neither has Utopia). Regardless, people love reading about things they've never experienced. The unknown is usually fascinating, and when conflict is added is promotes interest. Also, dystopias have potential for that "nitty-gritty" feel, or potential for lovable heroes (Think "V for Vendetta).

Utopias are nice to think about, but without conflict, reading about perfect societies can only entertain for so long.

4. Beege215e profile image66
    Beege215eposted 7 years ago

The utopian stories I have read always turn out badly. It can be interesting to read as the dreams are put into place and then cannot come to fruitation because of human failures, then become unrealized and the society collapses . The dystopian society has collapsed and it can be very interesting reading about survival of the fittest either during or after that collapse.  Which make the best fiction, IMHO I think I have enjoyed reading dystopia more. There is actually more imagination flowing.

5. profile image0
    surlyoldcatposted 7 years ago

Either. It's all in presentation and characterization. If you can combine both, well then you have something pretty darned interesting.

6. slc334 profile image43
    slc334posted 7 years ago

I agree that dystopian is best, but perhaps only due to the quality of the books or movies in the genre.  I can't think of many really good Utopian stories, but I can think of tons of Dystopian ones!

7. Titen-Sxull profile image87
    Titen-Sxullposted 7 years ago

Dystopia for me. I've no interest in a future without conflict or pain and I honestly don't think a Utopia is really even possible. If it is a story about a Utopia it better be a Utopia with a dark secret.

8. Rusty C. Adore profile image95
    Rusty C. Adoreposted 7 years ago

There are so many different reasons to love them both. I think it depends on your current emotion when reading. On a related note. I found a hub with a list of Sci Fi books! Its not mine, but it's kind of a fun read if anyone is interested.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Recommended-Rea … ce-Fiction

working