What do you expect us to gain from the comment on writing must be truth?

1. Peculiar author profile image55
    Peculiar authorposted 7 years ago

What do you expect us to gain from the comment on writing must be truth?

I dont understand, but would like too.  Could you elaborate?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

I believe every good writer should always tell the truth as he/she understands it. Facts and truths are not the same things in my mind. Facts are objective events. Truth is subjective and is based on your own honest evaluation of facts and your understanding of human nature. Telling the truth means you don't lie to yourself either. Speaking the truth in a story means you are dispensing with traditional tales and with what the audience expects. Truth is usually shocking to most audiences initially, but it forces them to see things from a new perspective that is honest. They will be more intrigued and will like the story you write better than the work of traditional literary hacks. Here are two films about Pearl Harbor: From Here to Eternity (made in 1950s) and Pearl Harbor (made in 2000s). From Here to Eternity was a more interesting film because it portrays a realistic dark side of the army; men cheating on their wives and wives cheating on their husbands with other soldiers; officers leaving work at noon so that the NCOs can do their job for them; soldiers getting special treatment for serving on boxing teams; etc. In the midst of it all are some brave, competent, yet fatalistic soldiers who don’t quite fit into society anymore. Pearl Harbor was a cheesy and romanticized love story full of hero swagger and comic relief. Hollywood directors like to trivialize war movies by always putting in a goofy soldier with an uncontrollable stutter. Front line soldiers are often incorrectly portrayed as flag-waving patriotic eunochs. I find this to be condescending.