jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If truth cannot be assumed in politics, should we expect truth in the courtroom?

1. Storytellersrus profile image79
    Storytellersrusposted 5 years ago

If truth cannot be assumed in politics, should we expect truth in the courtroom?  Or the classroom?

Politicians get ahead by misconstruing the truth and the public supports that tactic.  How then, can we hold others accountable?  What does this teach our children?

2. dahoglund profile image82
    dahoglundposted 5 years ago

Last I heard the courtroom does have rules about truth. The classroom, I am not so sure. For many yearss I have noticed a custom of students being able to buy term papers and such from people who specialize in that sort of thing. I don't understand how they get away with it. It seems to be a good teacher should be able to spot the false work. On the other hand I was in school in a different day and age, when there was a degree of objectivity in the classroom.

3. Diane Woodson profile image61
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

Our children learn from the examples we set by the way we live, how we treat others. Also from what we teach them which is a place we fall short throughout their formative years. The best way I think is to teach them, have times when question and answer is the way your time together is going. Children are misled in politics and well there are not many ways around that. They will make their own decisions and if they are really bright, begin doing it younger than we might have.

4. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 5 years ago

The question most certainly begs an answer.  Looking back on the actions of the Supreme Court on Obama-Care, I felt that the court shirks it true responsibility and left America holding a half-cooked turkey with no means to finish the job and no basis on which to question their decision.  Looking at the President and the Congress, our government is in dysfunction and actually violating laws by not completing the budget process since Obama took office.  Our system of checks and balances are not working because those charged with carrying the task simply shrug their shoulders and mumble things about political expediency.  Our system is only as good as the people that "we the people" put in place to run it.  We must hold those people accountable in every way and their primary focus must be on effective discourse, a willingness to realistically compromise, and a desire to gain concensus all with the welfare and future security of the American people in mind.  Contrary to the belief our POTUS, we are not moving forward as a nation in any shape or form.  ~WB

5. maxoxam41 profile image76
    maxoxam41posted 5 years ago

The truth should be given at an early age and who else but the parents to endorse the responsibility! People can't expect to be delivered the truth. Did it ever happen? The media failed to its duty of information to the people as the main vehicule of info. So if they failed, why not congress, why not the judicial system and so on?
    Unfortunately the mass is not educated hence a behavior that contradicts their interests. If governments fail to educate its children, there must be a reason why. What about the less you know, the less you think and consequently, the less you think, the less you criticize! It should be a valid adage.

6. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

I am looking at this backwards. I would say that we have to aim at truth in the classroom, in order to have truth in politics (or anywhere else).
    The key is in education. If we form good values and morals in children through education then, we can perhaps have more truth on a day to day basis because they will turn-out to be responsible human beings.

7. FIS profile image75
    FISposted 5 years ago

I hate to get all philosophical on you... but.. someone like Socrates would answer your question with a question... What is truth? While I have my ideas.. I would be willing to bet that they don't match a lot of other peoples'. I doubt that it is possible to hold others to truth.. when we aren't sure what truth is... let alone teach it to our young.. though I agree that schools should be the first place that we work on the problem. My suggestion would be that we teach youth to question and think critically. That at least.. may actually be happening based on statistics that I saw today about the children of the 90s falling away from organized religion because it is too political and judgmental...  there was a suggestion that when religion stops being political and judgmental.. they will be back.

Perhaps rather than getting at truth... we need to find some way to establish facts as facts... and separate facts from opinion.. There are scientific ways to do this.. but... I have serious doubts that those with strongly held opinions will go for this. There are entire sections of the country.. nay.. the world.. where facts just aren't as important as opinions and I see no evidence that they ever will be. Several times this year I have seen people spout what they think is a fact, be corrected and provided with all sorts of evidence... and still they refuse to believe the fact. This isn't easy and it makes me despair.  Still... I will continue to urge what I suggested above.. always question.. try to think critically.

working