jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How would you define "British Humour"?

1. tritrain profile image84
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

How would you define "British Humour"?

2. Gingerrevolution profile image57
    Gingerrevolutionposted 6 years ago

Having read this question three times and having come up with a different answer on each occasion - I have finally settled on one!

I think British humour is best encapsulated in the film '28 Days Later'. Obviously it was a bit of a stab in the dark at a British horror flick but there is a wonderfully funny dark humour running through the entire script. But my reasoning is two fold...
    The British are well known for their ragged landscapes and perpetually rainy way of roughing out life. I think that the film reflects the way we Brits are able to put on a brave face and laugh at anything - no matter how inappropriate our laughter may be and no matter how horrible the situation!

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I would define British humor as misspelled--just teasing.  I am not sure how to define it.  To me it is the ultimate sarcasm delivered with a dry, yet sharp razor wit--I love it.

4. Timetothink profile image60
    Timetothinkposted 6 years ago

British Humour, as it's spelled in UK and Australia, would best be described as subtle. There are a lot of comedy programs on the BBC, which to my knowledge is government owned, and fans of British humour give time for the character's  personality to develop.  As the show progresses the viewer has become familiar with all of the characters traits and hiccups, so that the writers don't have to resort to 'canned laughter' methods.  I prefer to watch British humour on disk so I can watch it from the beginning because it's as much about the funny character traits and story as it is the funny dialogue.

working