jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Which do you think is more important in writing: the message or the structure?

1. leroy64 profile image82
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

Which do you think is more important in writing:  the message or the structure?

Its a more specificversion of the question about art.  Is the message or the medium more important?

2. Phil Plasma profile image77
    Phil Plasmaposted 6 years ago

I think the message is more important, however, if the message can be delivered in a really good medium, all the better.

3. Eternal Evolution profile image76
    Eternal Evolutionposted 6 years ago

I think the message is more important however, poor structure can lead to loss of the message. If the writing has poor structure it can become confusing and hard to read thus, the message is lost or demisted.

4. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

both it all adds up in the end a good structure and a good message make for a great hub or whatever esle it is you are writing

5. Monisajda profile image73
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

To me it is the message that is important. Of course, if a message is conveyed in a way that is somehow lacking artistic presentation it is disappointing to me. There are many very beautiful pieces of art (I am talking about paintings) that are presented in an extremely refined artistic way but are lacking the message and I don't think they speak to me. I think of them as empty colors without spiritual depth to them. The same goes happens with a written word. There are numerous writers out there and some seem to have a talent for words but their writing is just a chatter, empty washed out nonsense.

6. Naomi's Banner profile image80
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

Actually I think they both are important.  You having nothing without a message but if you don't have structure in your writing many will not get past that to the message.

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

It doesn't matter how good the message is if the structure is ugly - few will read an ugly hub, and fewer still will share it, or vote it up.

I suppose it matters WHO exactly you produce a web page FOR.

If you do it for YOU, then who cares what I think, right?

8. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 6 years ago

If your message is irrelevant, no amount of structure will save it. On the other hand, if the message is important / relevant / worthy, then structure is vital to effectively communicating it.

That doesn't mean the structure has to be complex, just that you need to consider it.

If your message is simple, eg "Dyslexics rule. KO.", the structure pretty much sets itself.

On the other hand, if you're writing an article that explains what dyslexia is, explores the reasons why it occurs, and suggests possible strategies for managing it, then it's equally obvious that you'll need a structure that has the power to attract the interest of potential readers, then the structural flow to engage  and hold them through your message, to your conclusion/s.

In simple terms amy piece of written communication should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Even that short 'Dyslexics rule' example has stopping power, interest, flow, and conclusion.

If you're interested, I've recently published a Hub about the very subject, which I won't link here (not good HubPages etiquette), but if you click to my profile page you'll have no trouble finding it.

Good question. Cheers.

working