Would this website be better without the option to capitalize from our work?

1. MattyLeeP profile image60
    MattyLeePposted 6 years ago

Would this website be better without the option to capitalize from our work?

Would this website be better without the option to capitalize from our work?  Would it be considered more helpful to writers if we took the advertising out of the equation?  Would we be more focused on learning, helping, and sharing our techniques and practices if this were the case? Could this have been successful as a creditable channel for writers to express themselves, for love of the written word, instead of dollar, and still gotten it's members?

2. KT Banks profile image60
    KT Banksposted 6 years ago

@Matty,

I've never given much thought to making money from writing here. In the beginning - over a year ago, I saw where some people did. But to make enough money for it to really be profitable, I think you would have to treat it like a full time job.

I write here mostly because I like the community and the cyber-friends I've made here. And I like being able to express my opinion, share stories, and generally flex my writing muscles. For me, the thought of making money here rarely crosses my mind.

That's just my opinion.

3. MattyLeeP profile image60
    MattyLeePposted 6 years ago

I agree with you KT.  I just recently joined this site and the sense of community followed by the warm welcome I received instantly had me hooked. Lately I've seen several articles of how to make money from this site, and how to advertise your own. It made me start thinking, I love Hubpages, but have mixed emotions about earning from it.

It isn't like this is going to change my love for hubbing, but I could do without the constant advertising, and the desire to earn from what I consider the most sacred thing I am capable of doing.

To me, self-expression through writing, painting, or sculpture, should earn respect or other non-monetary praise that would please the creator personally.  I understand career artists and writers, but taking money making to this extent seems personally wrong to me.

I'm not a huge fan of advertising of any kind and believe that capitalism and economics, are just other words for the science of greed.  I'm an idealist, and wont take the one passion and sell it to someone else.

working