jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What are the best techniques to organize writing into a manuscript and why?

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

What are the best techniques to organize writing into a manuscript and why?

I have a few book ideas and I find the hardest part is actually organizing everything.  I used to try to do the outline/table of contents first and fit the information in - but now I'm finding I do the opposite write all the content and then organize it after... what do you think is the best way to put together a manuscript and why does that method work best for you?

2. sean kinn profile image61
    sean kinnposted 6 years ago

Christin: I like the relaxed format Richard Carlson uses in his "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series. I'm also adapting to Kindle Edition format, in that, I'm opening with a short intro, no more than a page, then straight to the how-to for the reader (because that's why they bought the book). All anecdotal stuff is now pushed to the back of the book as back matter.  But that's just me. :-) Sean

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure if you're referring to fiction or non-fiction. Personally, I write fiction, and if I write a new scene that needs to be organized into the full manuscript, I find that it helps to literally copy and paste it into the area I want it to go (assuming you have all the pieces typed onto a computer). Doing this then forces me, during a re-read, to bridge the gap between the old and the new. When they're in pieces, I just have no motivation to blend them.

4. claudiafox profile image74
    claudiafoxposted 6 years ago

I use blogs. I set up blog pages as chapters. Then, when complete, export the text and format in Kindle templates

5. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

I have a couple nonfiction ideas and also wrote a thesis a few years ago. For me, starting with an outline is best. That way, I can organize my thoughts and stay focused. Writing all the content first would set me off on tangents. It doesn't mean the outline can't be adjusted if I find I'm  going down the wrong path.

6. seicheprey profile image62
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

Well, that really depends on what you want to write about.  Non-fiction should be organized and structured in a way that allows the information to move freely and be easily accessible to some doing research or looking for a specific piece of information.  Fiction, on the other hand, should flow.  Find the story yoou want to tell, and tell it.