jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you keep the older versions of your manuscript? Why or why not?

1. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

Do you keep the older versions of your manuscript? Why or why not?

Sometimes I have multiple versions of the same manuscript. For example a novel will have revisions I have done years before in different versions. There is a psychological reason for this, I am sure,  a tendency to romanticize the past, by immortalizing an act and keeping that particular version handy. It is stamped by the date of the revision. Would you like to share your thoughts on this topic? If you keep older versions,then Why? If you don' then Why not? Thank you for your time.

2. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

Always, because it may serve as proof that you are the original author and also a way of adjusting your future writing techniques.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

One of my pieces of writing advice is to never throw anything away. The reason is because you never know when some arbitrary character, setting, plot point, or even piece of dialogue is going to suddenly become useful. Old stories are like unfinished lego projects. You set out to build something and it failed miserably. However, when you're on to a different project, you may find that a single piece from the old one would fit perfectly here in the new one. You then dig around until you find it and emerge with a better product than either one on its own. I can't tell you how many old stories I've picked apart to enhance my current projects. They're incredibly useful and should never be discarded.

4. Nights Dream profile image60
    Nights Dreamposted 6 years ago

Yes, I do for three reasons: The chance I could get new ideas from an old one. In case I would want to publish and new version with some variation in plot, setting, etc. For the nostalgia and memories of something I accomplished.

I think it is a great idea to keep older versions and revisions of any writing / manuscript. You never know when the old can become new. smile

5. loveofnight profile image80
    loveofnightposted 6 years ago

I always do, more often than not I have extra notes and corrections on the original thought. Things or statements that I don't use in the first completed paper is sometimes used in another. I also look back on those unused ideas and they inspire new writings.

working