jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is it more important for Childrens Literature to teach or entertain?

1. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

Is it more important for Childrens Literature to teach or entertain?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

I think that it is important for Children s Literature to be entertaining in order for the child to learn. If they are entertained by what they are reading or having read to them. they will remember and hopefully learn from what the story is about.

3. miss_jkim profile image82
    miss_jkimposted 6 years ago

It is equally important to teach and entertain in Children's Literature.

At a very early age, parents should read to a child. This will instill an interest in reading as they grow older. Most of these books have big, colorful pictures, simple words and simple lessons. (See the big red ball?)

As children grow older, parents should start swapping off reading to their children. I'll read one paragraph, they read the next. This will help the child with pronunciation and keep him/her on track with the story.

There will come a day when the child excitedly wants to read to mom / dad to show his / her abilities. That's when you let them read the story to you, and then ask questions about the story to instill the ability to remember what the story is about, not just how to say the words. ("Now what was the dog's name?")

Good reading skills are passed on from one generation to the next, and it's never too early to start. A good reader is someone who can learn anything!

4. profile image0
    will345davisposted 6 years ago

I agree with Susan. If a children's book is to actually have an impact on the child that reads it, it will have to be entertaining enough to keep their attention. The combination of education and entertainment is a tricky concoction.

5. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

I may have a slightly warped opinion but....forget teaching.  To me, the entire purpose of children's books should be to promote reading.  Let them be children as long as they can.  With my five, my wife and I specifically avoided those books with an associated 'lesson'.  We simply wanted our boys to enjoy reading and hoped it would carry over in life, which I'm happy to say it did.  There'll be plenty of 'literature to teach' in their futures so let them be kids.

6. slynch10 profile image59
    slynch10posted 6 years ago

I believe it is important that children's books are educational and entertaining. I started reading to my daughter when she was 6 months old and she is 2 years ahead in her reading - compared to the rest of her class.

I believe children's books should be in every household that has children and that you should also get your child a library card at an early edge.  Books are the escape, the teaching tool and the release that a lot of children and teens look to.

There are endless books on endless subjects, so starting a child with books very early on is extremely beneficial not only for their developement, but also for their future.

7. Evil Stepmother profile image58
    Evil Stepmotherposted 6 years ago

Children's literature must both teach and entertain.  If it's boring, a kid won't read, and if they don't read, they won't learn.

working