jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the funniest novel you've ever read?

1. mtalbot2987 profile image75
    mtalbot2987posted 6 years ago

What is the funniest novel you've ever read?

I'm looking for recommendations for humorous novels. I usually go for dark comedy so if you find this kind of stuff entertaining let me know what I should read.

2. Cookinmom11 profile image59
    Cookinmom11posted 6 years ago

Well, it's not dark comedy, but it was funny. 
    True Love and Homegrown Tomatoes, by Julie Cannon.  It did have some sad parts too, but they were minimal.

http://www.amazon.com/Truelove-Homegrow … 1892514877

3. Jean Bakula profile image97
    Jean Bakulaposted 6 years ago

Carl Hiassen writes really funny stuff about Miami. It's screwball fiction. One character who stays in the books was a former Gov. of FL, who goes nuts by the way people destroyed the environment, so he inhabits the Everglades and small islands and terrorizes people. Each book is different, but the crazy ex-Gov stays. Hiassen has his own news column, and is in a rock band with Stephen King, Amy Tan and a few other writers.

4. Oddity profile image77
    Oddityposted 6 years ago

Without a doubt: Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Try to get all the books if you can. There are so many moments that make you think and chuckle that you'll instantly fall in love with the book. It's my favorite, by far.

5. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

Tortilla Flat, by John Steinbeck.  He said later in life that it wasn't meant to be funny, and he never would have published it had he known that people would laugh at the characters.

6. .josh. profile image60
    .josh.posted 6 years ago

Well, if collections of short stories/anecdotes count, Simon Rich's 'Ant Farm' and 'Free Range Chickens' are absolutely hilarious. I've probably read each of them ten times, and I still laugh every time I pick it up.

A couple examples of his writing, published in the New Yorker...

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2007/07/ … houts_rich

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2007/03/ … houts_rich

7. Dee aka Nonna profile image80
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 5 years ago

I think I have read some really funny books....but, at the moment, I have to say the Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich.  They are numbered....one for the money, two for the dough, three to get deadly, etc. etc.  I am reading number 18  now (explosive eighteen) I think it is the lastest.  .  I think the first 3 or 4 in the series, as you are getting to know the characters,  are the hands-down funniest.  Stephanie New Jersey bounty hunter by necessity and not very good at it....it is funny.

The other is almost anything by Robert Fulghum.... The All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten and Maybe (Maybe Not) are my favorites.  He is funny while leaving a lasting message.

8. profile image0
    Chris Hughposted 5 years ago

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy!

Also any of the Jeeves and Wooster stories from P.G. Wodehouse.

The Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher has a lot of humor.

Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese is funny. So is Mercury Rising.

I have my own little anthology called Diseased Imaginings. Info is on my profile.

working