jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you get derailed when writing poetry?

1. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

Do you get derailed when writing poetry?

Does anyone else completely lose the track of a poem when they forget a word while they're writing?

2. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 6 years ago

I usually don't think about words while composing poetry. I follow my emotions.

3. graebear profile image68
    graebearposted 6 years ago

When I am writing I never label  it as poetry. I just write  my feelings of life  and of what is in my heart so deep , my cries , my fears and life as it is or was  . I  have done this  all my life .When I am done I read it   and decide what to do with it.
    So being derailed  when writing poetry. I would call it more like getting lost in your world of writing/words that it becomes .... you .... on paper .
    That is why there are so many ways and definitions of poetry that it all becomes our own style of writing that makes it unique.
    And  yes I do lose my thoughts at times when trying to  find a word.Sometimes I just leave a space or stars in it place and keep writing and come back to it so I don't loss the thoughts that race so fast in my mind . I decided to get a tape recorder to do this for me. I try to carry it where ever I go. Like on  hikes and driving places where a pen and paper are not easily used , and my IPOD is used always more so than paper  . Then, they are saved and emailed to myself.  I hope this a ok answer  that helps ...

4. ShaneMorris profile image59
    ShaneMorrisposted 6 years ago

I can't say that it's an avid trouble for me, but I have encountered this problem before when writing poetry. I usually focus on a particular point in time, or even on a metaphor that can represent an endless number of things. The writing seems to normally flow with my thoughts about the particular topic I'm writing about, but at times I can just basically hit a wall trying to think of 'the perfect word'. When I run into this problem though, I always turn to my thesaurus and begin hunting. Good luck with your writing!

5. Barbsbitsnpieces profile image80
    Barbsbitsnpiecesposted 6 years ago

@seicheprey...I haven't really experienced this, perhaps because my method of approaching poetry is to start with words that either rhyme, or connect in another way. I place them in opposite lines, then write lines into them as a way to focus on the whole.
    This gives me a skeleton with which to work and which easily can be reworked.