Has anyone read the poetry of Sherman Alexie?

1. seicheprey profile image61
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

Has anyone read the poetry of Sherman Alexie?

2. ShaneMorris profile image61
    ShaneMorrisposted 6 years ago

As far as poetry I can't say that I've had the opportunity yet to view any of his. I will add though that I read a book by him in an a class that revolved around literature from perspectives of ethnic culture in Asia and Native Americans. The book I read was called "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" by Alexie and focused on reservation life for Native Americans. The story involves a boy with physical defects who is often bullied on the reservations and it paints a scene of alcoholism through the community. The protagonist then begins attending a white public school located off the reservation and the story is about his struggles assimilating into a completely foreign community yet at the same time he has to deal with being rebuked by his own peers while living on the reservation. I know this doesn't help much, but at least it relates to the author and I think anyone would enjoy this book. It's done in a very simple fashion, actually includes "doodles" that the main character implements throughout the narration of his story which adds more to his personality.

3. annasmom profile image79
    annasmomposted 2 years ago

Yes.  He is amazing and observant.  His poetry comments on the current culture of Native American society and relationships between Native and Non-Native people.  Uses both humor and disdain to get his point across.