jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you go about getting your first ever novel published?

1. shamani67 profile image61
    shamani67posted 6 years ago

How do you go about getting your first ever novel published?

I have a novel which I want to get published, but don't know how to go about it.

2. EuroCafeAuLait profile image86
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 6 years ago

I noticed when I was randomly searching the other day that there is a Hub dedicated to this subject.  I didn't read it, but if you are interested, do a search on book publication or something similar, there is a wealth of information out there.  Good luck ! ! ! smile

3. satice_j profile image76
    satice_jposted 6 years ago

As a first time novelist, my suggestion would be to self publish your new novel. You've taken the time to write it and see it through; self publishing allows you to be in control of your product, allows you to design your cover, and overall allows to promote it to the correct venues you feel would benefit the audience you seek while allowing you to earn royalties off its sale. There are many good sites that will allow you to self publish but two I like most are Lulu.com, and Blurb.com. Check them out as well as others you may find online and go for the gusto. Good Luck to you!

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I agree with much of what satice_j had to say.
    Self publishing is a great way to things started.
    I'm putting the finishing touches on a relationship book I've been writing and I plan to self publish it. You may want to check out Create Space through Amazon.

The other option is to go the traditional route. Get some materials from Writer's Digest. They can provide you with a list of literary agents to send querry letters to. You'll want to send them to agents or publishers who have experience getting your type of book published. Getting published this way is almost like winning the lottery. However nothing ventured nothing gained. http://www.writersdigest.com/

Best of luck!

5. whoisbid profile image77
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

Some people have managed to sell their books by making popular websites using seo techniques. If you can manage to get a website that gets several thousand views a day you can put a link to your book sales on it and you will get buyers for sure. You don't need a printing house anymore and can do it yourself. The main thing these days is not about making a book but having enough promotion to sell it. I am sure this is not the traditional way but I thought that my answer might give some ideas to some of us who are puzzled about the race to have a popular site or blog

6. catspirit profile image60
    catspiritposted 6 years ago

Self publishing is the best way to start out, but I would recommend going technical. It is free to publish on Amazon's Kindle and most Kindle books are available for all wire-less devices. I have done both. It is great to thumb through your novel in paperback, but without extrememe perserverence, lots of advertising dollars and tons of time doing book signings, promotions, give-aways; etc - you are a succeess if you break even.
    Formatting is fairly simple on Kindle. There are always quirks, but there are when you traditionally self- publish. Just a few ideas, hope it helps.
    By the way, my Kindle book sold in the thousands, my self published book sold 40...numbers don't lie. But beware, there are a lot of newbie writers throwing substandard books on Kindle and the buyer has the option to return the book (which I totally disagree with - you can't take a book back to Barnes and Noble because you didn't like it.) Competition is rampant in either area.
    Good luck to you.

working