jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

In your opinion, how important is the rhyme in the poetry?

1. anusha15 profile image88
    anusha15posted 6 years ago

In your opinion, how important is the rhyme in the poetry?

Poetry may or may not contain rhyming words. Do you find lack of rhyme in poetry rather disappointing?

2. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 6 years ago

It really depends on the poem. One rule of thumb is that if you start in rhyming mode then you should continue to the end in rhyming mode. Nothing wrong with a free flowing poem.

3. cjcarter profile image75
    cjcarterposted 6 years ago

I like both styles actually, some of the best poems I've heard haven't necessarily rhymed.

4. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 6 years ago

No, I don't.  I see many sites on Twitter that are soliciting poetry, and  they just say right up front that they are not particularly fond of rhymed prose.  Personally, I don't understand this "trend" or is it really a trend?, I don't know.  I enjoy writing both rhymed and free verse.  It really depends upon the subject matter. Often, if I am writing about something extremely serious, free verse gives me more freedom to express myself properly.  If done the right way, without being trite (basically trying too hard to rhyme and in the process, twisting words around in a stilted, awkward way), and with excellent rhythm, rhymed poetry is still a beautiful thing.

5. MichaelStonehill profile image60
    MichaelStonehillposted 6 years ago

Poetry should be simple and close to ordinary speech. Thus, rhyming is actually  an artificial way to write poetry. It had become popular in the west due the influence of Arab poetry during the middle ages. Such an artificial method may help to inspire the poet. In a more deeper sense, rhyming is attempt to achieve compositional unity and to seek for the origin of language. In ancient times, rhymes were sometimes used to impress the listener. However, poems were usually written without rhymes. Anyway, good rhyming is an art which only few poets still possess.

6. suzettenaples profile image90
    suzettenaplesposted 6 years ago

No, I don't think poetry has to rhyme to be affective.  I think free verse, from all the poets who use it, shows that poetry doesn't have to rhyme.  May be there are people that prefer that poetry rhyme, but it is not necessary for the thought being expressed.

7. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 6 years ago

Sometimes my favorites are the poems that use unexpected rhyme schemes--that feel free and rhyme-less except for some carefully placed repetitive sounds to hold it together (Robert Frost was great at the unexpected rhyme). But in general, if a poem is well-written, its rhyme-scheme or lack thereof is not important.

8. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

I have some mixed opinion on this.  I believe first and foremost that your poem's "main element" (meter, rhyme, alliteration, extended metaphor and/or *MAJOR* (double) entendre') should be crafted, not accidental.

Most of the time, the "main element" is the statement - what it is the poem is observing, lamenting, analyzing, critizing, describing or exploring.

Whichever poetic devices or "tools" used, they should enhance the meaning and "music" of the poem.  They rarely succeed or persuade when done for their own sake.  It comes off as pedantic or -brrrrrr!!!! - forced.

Forced rhyme is about as beautiful as long, hard,dirty, jagged fingernails being dragged diagonally down the most "granular" surfaced/unsmooth chalkboard.

But when a piece lacks a certain "something" - frankly, sometimes the flair of rhyme done well is quite dazzling.  That includes approximate rhyme, internal rhyme, and myriad rhyme schemes classic and invented.

If the poetry lacks rhyme because of the poet's lack of skill and verbal alacrity, it shows as drab and disappointing.  When the poet is focused on something different, and manifests it with passion, originality and skill, rhyme is neither necessary, nor sometimes, even desired.

9. Rosemay50 profile image77
    Rosemay50posted 6 years ago

Rhyming in poetry is not as important as it used to be. As Rod says it depends on the poem.
    I enjoy the challenge of rhyming whilst still keeping the flow of the words.  On the other hand free verse is easier to express the feelings and phrases which are running through your mind.   You can sometimes lose that ethereal quality by making a poem rhyme.

10. cre8ivOne profile image75
    cre8ivOneposted 6 years ago

Being a poet that does the rhyme on some poems and not on others it really depends upon the style of the poem.  Not all poems should rhyme.

11. Daniella Lopez profile image93
    Daniella Lopezposted 6 years ago

Rhyme isn't necessary to make beautiful poetry. If the reader can feel what emotions the poet is feeling, then the poet has succeeded in making good poetry.

12. shellyakins profile image69
    shellyakinsposted 6 years ago

Personally, I dislike rhyming poetry. To me it sometimes feels forced and inexperienced poets tend to put a word in because it rhymes and not because it is the correct word to use for the rhythm and tone of the poem.  Also, rhyming makes it sound like a bad greeting card.