Any freelance editors out there?

1. PDXKaraokeGuy profile image88
    PDXKaraokeGuyposted 6 years ago

Any freelance editors out there?

I've been editing freelance for about a year. I want to get into it more heavily, especially in the area of manuscript editing. Do any of you out there do this? if so, what are your rates and what are the key points on the contracts you sign with your clients?

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I've been freelancing full-time, including editing. I'm actually preparing to release a training program on freelancing (becoming self-supporting, then building a work team, and then finally creating a self-sustaining business around your skills). My rates vary according to the difficulty of the project, how many hours it will take to do it, and whether I intend to put my own time into it or hand it off to a team member. One thing that I do -- and I've noticed that a huge percentage of freelancers don't -- is that I tell the client straight out if I'm going to outsource it to a team member. We get into a three-way Skype conversation in which I introduce them to the person who will be working on the project, and assure them that I quality-check everything to ensure that it meets my own standard of quality. As you can imagine, the contract also varies, though it does have several points that are consistent -- which I will be typing up into a hub for you tonight or tomorrow morning, because that is a LONG explanation.

At any rate -- feel free to contact me through my profile with specific questions that I will gladly write hubs about, or just for general freelance discussion. I've been looking for other freelancers out there who are potentially interested in mastermind/accountability type groups, so please do feel free to strike up a conversation smile.