Does anyone have articles on Soapboxie?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 9 months ago

I've seen traffic on my Soapboxie articles plummet this year. Is anyone else seeing the same?

I had one article getting 100+ views per day. Now it gets about 5. I don't want to bash the editors, but this happened shortly after editing. Normally they do a good job, but I had complained about this edit after it happened because there were many things that I didn't think would work. I also suspect that many views were coming in through the images I had created, which were deleted in the edit.

Other Soapboxie articles, some with tens of thousands of views overall are now getting under 5 per day. My new article is also doing less well than expected, although its only been a couple of months.

I wonder if the downturn is because political speech is increasingly being censored on the wider internet and centralized to within mainstream outlets.

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 months agoin reply to this

I have 3: one about community service, one about Joe Biden and one about race. They've never received a lot of traffic. The one about community service gets consistent trickles of traffic, red arrows at least once a week, especially around spring break. None have been edited by HP Editors. I update them regularly.
      I think you may be right about the current political state regarding censorship/banning of certain topics online and how it might impact traffic.

How are the rest of your articles doing on other network sites? My traffic, like most everyone else's, is terrible across the board compared to the way it used to be.

Thomas Swanposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Soapboxie might not be a great place for political content then, at least currently. I wonder if other sites are better suited to it.

I've got dozens of articles on Owlcation. Traffic is down about 20% in the past year. I'm sure it would have been worse if I hadn't spent ages updating them last year. I was hoping for a boost from it, and this is what I got. I updated Soapboxie at the same time though, and the drop there is more like 50%.

My overall traffic has largely recovered due to the "HowTheyPlay" niche (sport). I prefer to write about educational topics rather than soccer, but the latter has been my biggest traffic source for years. I've kept those updated, written half a dozen more, and that seems to have increased traffic a bit there.

1. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Wow, 50% drop is a lot. But I believe it's the same or worse for most of us. I have one on Owlcation that's consistently been my best performer. However, the traffic has dropped 50% or more over the last 3 years. It's just a bad time for HP, Thomas. Good you're still writing and seeing a little improvement.

Thanks, Jan. Yes, I peruse the some of the other forum threads and have seen that many authors are upset about site-wide drops in traffic.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 months agoin reply to this

I have five and they've all increased.

Nice! Good to see it's still possible to do well there.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 9 months ago

I have several articles on Soapboxie, but I have a similar experience as you, Thomas, with few views. However, the same drop in traffic is happening across the board for me.

As for editors, I had an excellent experience with the present editor of Soapboxie. He worked extensively with me to get my latest article in a condition acceptable for that niche site since it involved a sensitive subject

Yes the editors are normally great. I've only voiced concerns a couple of times over the years, and this Soapboxie article was one.

I think some niche topics are doing ok, but most aren't. I don't think Google values this "network" as authoritative or trustworthy for content anymore. That may be why I can write about sport and do alright, but politics and education appear to be on the way down. I don't think the clickbait "news" they put on the homepages helps at all. But the biggest problem may be political, and attacks on "disinformation" that are just an excuse to promote mainstream sources in search engines.

1. AliciaC profile image93
        AliciaCposted 9 months agoin reply to this

The clickbait “news” they put on the Owlcation homepage is disgusting.

Indeed, it's borderline offensive for a site that's supposed to be about education.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image93
            Kenna McHughposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Google doesn't support this type of content. I am concerned about TAG.

3. Shesabutterfly profile image94
    Shesabutterflyposted 9 months ago

I had 2. Interestingly enough they removed one back to Discover, I believe back in October. It would be nice to know what their traffic threshold is.

As far as I can tell they have similar traffic, but it is hard to compare when Discover typically does not yield the same amount of traffic as the niches.

The article they moved back has 10x more total views than the niche article and they were published within months of each other 11yrs ago.

I don't keep a close enough eye on these particular articles to know how far they dropped or if traffic has been this dismal for awhile, however this month the one on Soapboxie is averaging a whopping 2 views a day.

I'd hate to see that happen to mine. Could the one moved back to Discover be less evergreen? Two per day sounds like most of mine, with a few still in the tens.

1. chef-de-jour profile image95
        chef-de-jourposted 9 months agoin reply to this

You're right Alicia. Owlcation has suffered from TAG's ad and text mishandling more than any of the niche sites I think.

I've been looking at my stats covering the past two and a half years and the decline is a shocker. I've lost tens of thousands of college and university students/readers, both regulars and newcomers, and cannot see a way back under the current regime. Crazy frustrating days.

If you're aware of any tech-minded individual with coding knowledge and sound business sense who could put together an Owlcation-like website, a la Paul Edmondson with HP, educational but with scope for a personal slant, please let us know!!!!!!

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
          PaulGoodman67posted 9 months agoin reply to this

There were some techno people in the past but over time, they've drifted away to do their own thing.

It also has to be borne in mind that all of HP's direct rivals have effectively gone and HP is really the last man standing as far as this model of content creation goes.

That said, I believe Wizzley is still going! Hehe!

As far as an Owlcation-like website goes, I think it's easier to sell a product or service online than to set up a general info site and try to make money from it. Otherwise, I might be tempted to do something for myself using Wordpress/SquareSpace or whatever.

HP used to be very good at getting good rankings for articles and income generation but for whatever reason, it's now struggling. I tend to see the crappy ads as a visible symptom of the problem rather than the underlying cause.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
            Glenn Stokposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Paul, Since you mentioned Wizzley, I took a look, and I’m surprised they are still online. The site is not maintained. I see lots of broken links and obsolete information in the articles. The registration page gets a script error so no one can create a new account. The video tutorials page is blank. And their forum only had two new posts in the past two years.

Yes, I've been by there once or twice in the past five years, mainly to see if I could salvage any old articles. It was a bad site even when it was maintained.

I can't see any of the other content creation sites that used to exist.

I don't count Medium because it uses a completely different model to generate traffic and revenue.

You're right, Paul. I also was tracking their eventual demise and wrote an article about why Bubblews, Persona Paper, and Niume failed. And I recently updated another article where I predicted InfoBarrel's failure.

As for Medium, it will be interesting to see how they perform after August 1st, when their new business structure goes into effect.

With Medium, the cynic in me suspects that it will be a cost-cutting exercise dressed up as a positive change but I live in hope!

Ha Ha. I agree with you 100%! I see that too, especially since they are removing the referral bonuses and requiring people to pay to earn.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image93
            Kenna McHughposted 9 months agoin reply to this

You may have a point, Paul. I write product descriptions for top websites. Some of it involves educating the viewers or buyers, so they’ll buy. Still, the websites are user-friendly for the most part, easy to navigate with them hard selling their products. Amazon is a fine example of sellers educating their buyers with quality content.

With that, people are still looking for answers and help. It might only sometimes be a product that resolves their problem. They need solutions that are easy to read and comprehend. How to make a moist layered cake compared to buying a cake mix that promises a moist one. Or how many calories per slice. Or how to repair a flat tire or flush a hot water heater. These are real problems that need tangible solutions.

The viewers search for answers on the Internet all the time for everyday issues and will read and appreciate the help.

People still need information, but when the ads get in the way of the frustration of trying to repair a flat tire or fix a busted pipe, the reader leaves and goes to a site that is easier to manage, read and comprehend. HP needs to be empathic with the viewers. They need to care enough to help them resolve their problems instead of trying to sell them some obscure product that pops up or slows the loading of the web page.

I hope HP can return to its original purpose or mission statement, which is to give the viewer tangible solutions. Viewers want help and relief so that they can live better lives. Repair that flat tire fast and get on their bike ride. Slow-loading web pages and cramming ads down their throats are not tangible solutions but headaches and frustration.

HP writers can go rogue. It might work. Technology is making it easier to manage websites.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image94
        Shesabutterflyposted 9 months agoin reply to this

No, at least I don't think so. They are directly related and had links to each other prior to the move back.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)