Does anyone know where the saying "dot your "i"s and cross your "t"s originates?

1. ktrapp profile image97
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

Does anyone know where the saying "dot your "i"s and cross your "t"s originates?

It occurred to me this morning that I am a "dot your "I"s and cross your "T"s" kind of person but neither of my kids are, so I know it is not a genetic characteristic. But, it got me wondering where the saying come from.

2. Don Bobbitt profile image95
    Don Bobbittposted 6 years ago

Ktrapp, remember ( or maybe you're a little too young :>)) when everyone wrote in cursive and an I without a dot and a t without a cross, well, they just looked the same.
    Thus the saying, that evolved into a a statement describing being a detailed person. Not a bad thing to be called, really!

3. ktrapp profile image97
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

I think I may be older than you think because I clearly remember learning cursive in the 3rd grade with that poster of all the capital and lower case cursive letters that ran the width of the blackboard. But it never occurred to me that an undotted i and an uncrossed t looked the same. Thanks for pointing that out, but I wonder if anyone gets credit for first saying this. Not that it matters, but I was just curious.

working