jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My local Bookstore has just closed down

1. whoisbid profile image76
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

My local Bookstore has just closed down

One of my local bookstores has just closed down because they are not making enough money. I noticed that this happened several months after eBooks and eReaders became popular here. I miss that bookstore and am concerned that we will soon be seeing less of them. I miss the coffee shop there and the atmosphere. Do you think this will happen to other bookstores? Do you like visiting bookstores and do you think we need to fight to keep them alive and well?

2. VirginiaLynne profile image97
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

We still have a few bookstores in our town, but we've lost some too.  I do think that it will continue to be harder for them to stay open unless they get into the digital reader game too.  I'm not sure we can stem the tide of moving to digital. In  fact, I decided to write for Hubpages rather than continuing to pursue paper publications because I think those are going away.  What I've discovered as I write here is that I really feel so much more free to write what I want to write.  It is also amazing to be able to add pictures and video to a text.  Pictures would be expensive in print and video would be impossible.  So, I think the change is for the better.  Actually, I'm going to talk about the changes in digital learning/books with my students today!

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

This is very sad. We have some bookstores here-two used bookstores and one book chain store. I worry less about the used bookstores  than about the other store as I think they are frequented by a different mindset of people in the first place.

4. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 6 years ago

I feel the same way, whoisbid! I am rather bummed out that my local Borders closed down and moved out of the mall around where I live. That bookstore was the only reason for me to go into the mall. When I went in there, all the noise of the mall seemed to go away.

I would grab a bunch of magazines and one or two books, and go to the back where the cafe was. With a large cup of steaming black coffee and some kind of danish, all was right with the world!

You know, I"m also very fond of my public library. Maybe we should push to have cafes installed in our local public libraries! I'm very serious. Maybe the cafe could boost revenues of the public libraries a little.

I too am bummed out about Borders closing down.