jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

As a reader do you prefer a story which moves between two stories or just one al

1. Pen Tickle profile image70
    Pen Tickleposted 6 years ago

As a reader do you prefer a story which moves between two stories or just one all the way through?

2. Tony DeLorger profile image81
    Tony DeLorgerposted 6 years ago

As a reader and a writer, sub plots nearly always add to the strength and expectation in the storyline. Sub plots can be used to further explore characters in a different context or add intrigue to the main plot. As a reader I love complexity and something that adds to the experience. Having said all that, a well written story does not necessarily need a subplot. It depends on the quality of the writing. As a reader I probably prefer the value of subplots as they can hook you in even more.

3. sidds123450 profile image70
    sidds123450posted 6 years ago

To be honest, I don't like moving between stories, read many excellent novels with this concept - but always felt that it would have been better if there was some more continuity.

4. youmeget profile image77
    youmegetposted 6 years ago

You can do anything you want in a story, the only problem is how it is done. If you're not careful with the way you land the readers or you don't show a clear switch from one story to the other, the readers would get confused and would quit reading.
    I hope this helps you,

Youmeget

5. profile image48
    I. N. Sarmaposted 6 years ago

I prefer a story which moves between stories. Some of the best books have been written that way (Dracula by Bram Stoker, and recently, Holes).

6. Iggy Falcone profile image61
    Iggy Falconeposted 6 years ago

It really depends on the book. A single storyline is practically bulletproof, though. Two or more storylines may yield a much better reading experience if they're ballanced, but there is a risk of one storyline becoming more engaging to a level where you become annoyed by the switches.

7. OutsideTheLines profile image59
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

It is entirely reader dependent. For me I prefer a story that stays the same all the way through for the sole reason that I have a very difficult time concentrating and multiple plots get confusing.

working