jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Have you ever taken days off from writing? How did it go?

1. Sinea Pies profile image78
    Sinea Piesposted 6 years ago

Have you ever taken days off from writing? How did it go?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

I often take Sundays off from writing and some Sundays its drives me crazy as I feel as if I should be writing.

3. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Sometimes -- it's been a long time since I've been able to. On some occasions it feels REALLY good to just be able to kick back with a book or a craft, and even watch a movie without feeling like I should be on my computer typing away. Other days, I feel compelled to write while I have the luxury to write what I want to write. Most days I get to write 5-8 hours per day whether I like it or not.

4. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 6 years ago

Hi, Sinea Pies!

When I'm not writing, I'm reading, which is, of course, very fulfilling. You have to read, as you know, to sharpen your skills in writing. This is so, I believe, even if one is a "professional" writer. You have to make time to read.

Taking a few days off to read may be just the thing to help one overcome "writer's block," and so forth. I have three unfinished hubs in the hopper and I'm backing off of them for a few days until my "batteries" are "recharged," as it were.

Also, I think I have to say that I'm rarely not writing; I am always doing research, which means taking notes.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

Mine is a constant struggle. I feel like I SHOULD be writing for many hours every day, but between my job and my home life, I generally don't write more days than I do. This then creates an unhealthy mentality that I'm never 'getting enough done'. It's poisonous because when I do finally sit down to write a hub or work on my novel, no matter how much I do it doesn't feel like enough. This back and forth has really jacked up my mentality towards writing and I'm not really sure where I need to be right now.

But, in answer to your question, it can be good to take some time away from writing, especially if it's stressing you out. Writing is our job, whether we're getting paid for it or not, and everyone needs a vacation from their job once and a while.