jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do you do when you get writer's block?

1. yvens profile image61
    yvensposted 7 years ago

What do you do when you get writer's block?

What's your technique to overcome writer's block?

2. Merlin Fraser profile image80
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

Depends on the subject matter leading up to the block.

If it's an article or paper it maybe due to lack of research or it wasn't as interesting a subject as you originally thought.

On the otherhand if like me it's a novel and you hit the wall it is because I've written myself into a corner or made the plot so confusing that even my twisted mind can find a way out.

My technique is to walk away for a few hours or even a couple of days.  I will re read everything I have written up to that point just before going to sleep and let the subconcious sort it out.

Sometimes talking with someone helps, sometimes just talking aloud triggers the solution.   

There's no sure fire solution but it will clear, maybe you need to take two steps back and see if a different direction will help...

3. yvens profile image61
    yvensposted 7 years ago

Thanks Merlin Fraser
    I think I'll do that,just walk away for a while and come back refreshed.

4. michifus profile image82
    michifusposted 7 years ago

What Merlin Fraser has said is right on.

I often find that I just cant write, and end up sitting in front of the computer for hours doing nothing, or write utter rubbish and have to then spend ages correcting it.

The only thing to do is get out, get away from the computer and get a change of scenery. Its all too easy to be hunched in front of the computer for hours, days, even weeks without a proper break and no one can keep going indefinitely.

How long it takes is another matter. I find if I finish early, get out of the house and try again in the morning, that's enough. If its not, take the weekend off and don't even touch the computer!

If you are on a deadline - get out for an hour and do some exercise. It helps to clear the head!

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image95
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 7 years ago

Merlon's answer is a good one.

Also, if you establish a regular daily writing routine, you'll find that the creative process flows much more readily.

6. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 7 years ago
  7. Stories Inc. profile image76
    Stories Inc.posted 7 years ago

It means that I'm going into some sort of 'hibernation' to refill with ideas and techniques and that I'll come out better, taking a leap forward. It is frightening though, if it lasts too long, cause you're never sure if/when it will go away, especially if you get blocked in the middle of the book. For me, that's an indication that I'm not ready to finish the book yet and it's a comforting thought that it will benefit from the delay in the end. However, there's one book that I've been writing since I was 15 and still haven't managed to finish without blocking. It does get better every time I rewrite and continue...
    So for all blocked authors out there, hang in there and go out, have a good time, get new experiences and most of all: try not to worry too much, forcing yourself to write and panicking will only make it worse.
    Hope this helps!