What made superman so popular?

1. retellect profile image75
    retellectposted 6 years ago

What made superman so popular?

2. AnnNoE profile image60
    AnnNoEposted 6 years ago

Superman could do all the things a young boy could only dream of. He was the ultimate boy scout. At the time of his origin he had no flaws and little vulnerability. Boys could look up to him. They could even wonder: "What would Superman do in this situation?" Of course, it did cause some young followers to jump off of roofs with blankets for capes, trying (sometimes disasterously) to fly.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

The original Superman may have been popular for all his neat super powers, but I think the character has endured because of the rich and dark past that led to his current superhero status. Sure, he's a boyscout with near invulnerability, but his parents, and nearly every other kryptonian, were violently killed when their homeworld exploded. So now there is a heavy feeling of loneliness while he continues to battle with Krypton's ghosts (like kryptonite or general zod). For this reason, I find his character to be that much more interesting and heroic. He has been placed in an impossible situation on an alien world. There are so many reasons why someone in that situation might give up and spiral into depression, but instead he chooses to be a hero. He chooses to lead a life in pursuit of life and happiness. He defends those who cannot defend themselves. There's also a Jesus comparison in there, but for me it just boils down to a hero that one can look up to, not just because he has neat powers, but because he represents personal strength and a sense of hope in otherwise hopeless situations.

working