jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What English mistakes annoy you the most?

1. health-resource profile image58
    health-resourceposted 6 years ago

What English mistakes annoy you the most?

For example...

When people say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less."

2. profile image49
    michelegoldsteinposted 6 years ago

My pet peeves are more about pronunciation like supposebly for supposedly and neucular for neuclear.

3. kerlynb profile image90
    kerlynbposted 6 years ago

I'm a non-native English speaker who loves studying English.  Generally, I do not mind other people's mistakes since I'm making a lot myself - LOL smile What irks me, however, is when people try to sound like native English speakers by trying to mimic their accent and pacing in speech.  Doing that is sometimes OK.  Most of the time, however, it makes speech impossible to understand.   I prefer hearing people speak in a natural pace.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

It bothers me when people don't know the difference between there, their, and they're.

5. brittanytodd profile image94
    brittanytoddposted 6 years ago

I'm really strict on the difference between "further" and "farther".  I hear/read it used wrong so many times.

6. jbrock2041 profile image81
    jbrock2041posted 6 years ago

Misspellings in writing is one thing that really gets me. I'm not a great speller naturally but come on now, there's spell check to make sure that everything you write is spelled correctly.

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

The use of who and whom bother me as well as when the educated woman I work for says, "I had went to the store."  ARRGHHHHHHH

8. Jyoti Patil profile image66
    Jyoti Patilposted 6 years ago

When people say "My hairs" to my hair and "The Childrens" to the children. Its like - Why???? Why don't people learn English properly. Its such a lovely language.