jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you believe "there's no such thing as a stupid question"?

1. Daisy Mariposa profile image85
    Daisy Mariposaposted 6 years ago

Do you believe "there's no such thing as a stupid question"?

The full text of the quote, by an unknown person, is "There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people who ask questions." What do you think about this quote?

2. health-resource profile image59
    health-resourceposted 6 years ago

It really depends on the situation.  If asking in earnest I don't think a question is stupid... however, I do believe people should try to find answers on their own beforehand if/when possible to avoid frustrating the person they are asking.

3. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 6 years ago

I think there is no stupid question if some one is really honestly trying to learn something. On the other hand you have people on the internet that just ask stupid questions to rile people up, or upset people. Just depends on the environment you are in, and what the question is, whether it is something educational, or lesson in life, or some sort of purpose, or someone just playing mind games.

4. BenjaBenja profile image59
    BenjaBenjaposted 6 years ago

I think there are people who ask questions stupidly... the questions and the people themselves are not (not usually) "stupid" but the manner -- the place, the choice of who to direct the question, the delivery/presentation, etc. -- are sometimes not ideal.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I do believe a question can be stupid.  When I was a girl I asked my mom where the hangers were.  She didn't bat an eye and said, "In the toilet."

I said, WHAT?  She just looked at me.  Yes, it was a stupid question.

6. BrainfoodTutoring profile image58
    BrainfoodTutoringposted 6 years ago

Of course there is no such thing as a stupid question. What most of us have always learned in a classroom is to always speak up when we have questions, even if we believe they are 'stupid', because chances are that if you have a question about something so do others. Leaders ask questions, followers wait for someone else to take the initiative. A brilliant quote I saw was, "There are no stupid questions, but there a lot of inquisitive idiots." In order to better oneself questions must be asked. If you ever have questions always feel free to ask us at http://BrainfoodTutoring.com. You can like us on Facebook, or follow us on twitter @BrainfoodTutors.

7. THEHuG5 profile image61
    THEHuG5posted 6 years ago

The only stupid questions are questions you don't already know the answer to, and questions that were just answered 10 seconds ago but you ask it again anyways.

8. athena2011 profile image56
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

If you're genuinely asking the question to learn something then I absolutely believe that this statement is true.

However some people ask questions just to have conversation, as well as to provoke sometimes and in these situations the questions can be stupid. Or perhaps it is stupid to ask the question instead of the question being stupid.