jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Is there such a thing as a stupid question?

1. tswilson profile image60
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

Is there such a thing as a stupid question?

2. randslam profile image85
    randslamposted 6 years ago

Yes...one example would be...if you knew someone was gay and you asked, "Are you gay?'  Another, as you sit in an African American's home you ask, "Are you black?"

These would be very, very stupid questions...so stupid questions do exist...the myth is dead.

3. Steve Orion profile image79
    Steve Orionposted 6 years ago

Of course, those are when the answer to the question is extremely apparent to anyone who cares to look for them. Or, some don't need consideration to begin with. For example, "What is the number for 911?" or "How to you spell IRS?"

4. Pikachusif profile image70
    Pikachusifposted 6 years ago

Yes, there are such things as stupid questions. They appear many times throughout modern speech and literature, (most in the forms of typos, but none the less stupid questions.) These are examples of quite insolent questions.

Examples: How many days are in an hour? Are there continents on Earth? Are the letters s, t, u, p, i, & d, in the word stupid?

I hope that everyone now knows that rather 'obtuse' words do exist, and that humans are not afraid to ask them.

-Much love, Pikachusif

5. tswilson profile image60
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

I agree.  There definitely are stupid questions.  I have heard a number of people say, "There is no such thing as a stupid question", so I wanted to hear some opinions.  "Is there such a thing as a stupid question?" could in itself be a stupid question.

6. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

Honest questions are not, but they definitely do exist.  Did you ever read that book as a kid, Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions?  They exist, but if it's honest, you should ask.

7. Admiral_Joraxx profile image81
    Admiral_Joraxxposted 6 years ago

YEAH!! ! for example, 1 stupid question you can ask here in hubpages would be

that would be so stupid I guess. smile

8. jonsswagger1978 profile image57
    jonsswagger1978posted 6 years ago

No, all questions are good questions. The only way to advance in knowledge is by asking questions, studying and learning.

9. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 6 years ago

To not ask would be an admission to all knowing. I don't think anyone knows all. Therefore there is no such thing as a stupid question.

10. whizzer profile image77
    whizzerposted 6 years ago

There is no such thing as a stupid question as long as it's asked because of a genuine need to know the answer. What may seem stupid to me may not be to another person. If somebody asks a question to which they already know the answer or to which there can be no answer, then it would be stupid to ask the question even though the question itself may not be stupid if you understand what I mean.

An example would be for somebody to ask if there is such a thing as God. Nobody has the definitive answer to that one (yet), so it would be stupid to ask that question. If somebody asked if you believe that there is such a thing as God, that's not stupid as it's asking for your opinion.

11. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Oh, yes. Any question can be thought of as stupid to another person. No two minds are the same. No two minds have the same common sense, thus they view each question differently.