jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Attention non-American writers - are there American sayings or idioms you don't

1. marriedwithdebt profile image74
    marriedwithdebtposted 6 years ago

Attention non-American writers - are there American sayings or idioms you don't understand?

Please list them. If I get enough responses, I will write a Hub explaining various common sayings in America that might make absolutely no sense to non-native speakers. Could be a fun exercise - thanks!

2. sweetzara profile image80
    sweetzaraposted 6 years ago

High on the hog, Stool Pigeon, Up a gum tree, Red letter day, know you onions, Funny farm! Bees knees.

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
      ReneeDC1979posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sweetzara I was born here 33 years ago and the only one I think I understand is know your onions because they have layers.  I relate that to people- get to know people because they all have layers, issues, different experiences.  I may be wrong.

3. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Well, heck, I've lived here all my life (63+ years) and I STILL hear things I don't understand now and then!  Good idea, though and could be a fun hub.

4. creativebutterfly profile image60
    creativebutterflyposted 6 years ago

There are too many to list but if you go on the Brits in America website you will find that they have started a dictionary and they list all the British words with the American.

5. lighthouse15 profile image36
    lighthouse15posted 6 years ago

can't think of any right now but i surely love to read some once you publish it here...

6. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 6 years ago

Every four years or so, we start hearing the phrase "tea party candidate". I know of the Boston Tea Party just prior(?) to the American Revolution. Is there a connection?

7. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Is that sayings from Canada, Mexico, one of the offshore islands, or the USA, or sayings from South America?

8. Aceme profile image58
    Acemeposted 4 years ago

I am a non-American writer ,from Asia, from china,