jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

I understand that haikus are supposed to be mainly descriptive poems about natur

1. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

I understand that haikus are supposed to be mainly descriptive poems about nature?

2. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

Is it cool to also write haikus about other topics?

3. leroy64 profile image81
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

Just go for it.  Maybe you will start a new poetry form.  At the very least, you will be pushing a few boundaries.

4. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

This is what it says under Haiku in the topic section of poetry
    A haiku is a traditional Japanese poem that follows a specific format. A haiku is a simple poem with a simple message designed to provide a fresh perspective. The themes often focus on nature. There must be three sentences. The sentences must have five syllables, seven syllables, and five syllables respectively. The poem is then cut into two parts. The cutting can take place after either of the first two sentences. It is designed to break up the thoughts with something similar to a pause. Haiku poems are set in one of the seasons. The season will be indicated by the use of a particular word. This word is known as a kigo. The haiku style of poetry is very popular in numerous western nations. The rules can change slightly when not written in Japanese but the sentiment remains the same. Haiku’s have been written by many Americans including Jack Kerouac, and Allen Ginsberg.
    When I want to write a Haiku of a different type I put Written in Haiku Style.

5. DIMIR profile image83
    DIMIRposted 6 years ago

Haikus, like any form of poetry, have very strict rules and some looser rules.  While a haiky is typically written about nature, it is not necessary.  The fun of poetry is bending those rules and testing forms where they seem least likely to work.  Keep the form and meter of a traditional haiku (so as to consider it a haiku), but don't be afraid to venture into anti-nature categories!

6. nochance profile image93
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

Traditional haikus have a seasonal basis, should be less than seventeen syllables (usually 5-7-5 format), and contain an image.

Most people just follow the 5-7-5 rule and write about whatever they want, resulting in some hilarious poetry.

7. Harishprasad profile image82
    Harishprasadposted 3 years ago

To me, haiku is like witnessing a scene where two persons are standing  at some distance while a third one is  looking at them. This third guy says something very interesting about the two that is appropriate, curious, sensational, fantastic, wonderful, exciting, marvelous, enlightening and so on. You can put things in place of persons and as a poet express in a similar style but no metaphor,  simile, exaggeration should be used. There must be three lines in a haiku. GThe expression should be too obvious in simple words leaving a great impression on the mind of readers. The season aspect is not necessary that was used in the original  traditional Japanese haiku. This is all what I have grasped about this great art of poetry till now.

working