jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

I want to write little bios for my zombie creations, but should I?

1. AshleyGordanier profile image58
    AshleyGordanierposted 6 years ago

I want to write little bios for my zombie creations, but should I?

I'm just a tad apprehensive. I don't want people to think they are dumb, or try and steal them. Excuse my paranoia I just treat all my characters, monster or not, like my babies and if someone were to dis or steal them I would feel like they were hurting or kidnapping my baby. So should I make little bios on my zombies or just tell about them if asked?

2. NatalieSack profile image61
    NatalieSackposted 6 years ago

Why not write them?  You don't have to share them with anyone.  And the people who think your characters are dumb are not the people in your target audience, so why write with what they think in mind?  Maybe (and  I don't know you, so I am just throwing this out there) you should consider that courage isn't a lack of fear, but rather it is acting in spite of fear.  Take small steps.  Write the bios.  Let them sit a bit.  Then take another step and post one.

3. learnlovelive profile image60
    learnloveliveposted 6 years ago

I understand. First you should consider the integrity of your enterprise. These zombie characters bring you success, no? If you create intriguing charcter arcs and make the themes witty enough, people will not find the zombie-character bio idea to be silly or overplayed. It's all about how you present the material. Are you willing to take on a complex creative endeavor that will tie all your characters together into one central story line or are you still thinking in terms of individual stories. These are  considerations you must assess.

Take time to ponder these things and I think you will come to your own conclusions. Thank you for asking my opinion!!!

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image95
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

I doubt most people will ask.  In my opinion, a short bio might be fun, because it is a new approach. 
    Who were they?  What happened to them?  When and how did they become zombies?  Do they have any memory of their past lives?
    These are the things people might want to know. Keep it short and sweet, so as not to sidetrack your main storyline.  Optionally, you might want to put the bio bits up front, as a "foreword" to the story--a "meet the characters" kind of introduction.
    Just my thoughts.  Hope it helps.

5. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 6 years ago

I would say do whatever works best for you. Some will like them. Some won't. But, you know what, the ones that don't, don't matter.

As for someone stealing them, copyright them if you feel the need. Then if someone steals them, sue 'em.

You're creating bios for your characters, no matter who or what they are, and writer's do it all the time.

This is a long-winded way of saying, "Go for it!"

6. Marturion profile image59
    Marturionposted 6 years ago

writing bios is a good idea, for yourself, if for no one else.  creating a detailed bio for characters makes them more real, and easier to write about.  For public viewing, I would have a condensed, simplified bio.  You can always release the more complete bios to paying customers and loyal, trustworthy fans.

7. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

I would say that it all depends on how you use them in the story. For example, a main character should never need a bio to accompany their narrative. Their description, back-story and behavior should all come out in the story naturally. However, if these are mindless zombies and you're trying to convey who they were, then it might be beneficial to write a flashback. Maybe it could be an element of the story (or the whole story depending on what your goal is), but taking the time to put us in the shoes of these people before they were turned would make it that much sadder and horrifying. Good luck!

working