CheatingThe DeathPenalty. I would like more information about Jim Williams.

1. profile image50
    Heri23posted 6 years ago

CheatingThe DeathPenalty. I would like more information about Jim Williams.

I am a law school student and I am writing a paper for a legal history seminar. I read about the peculiar case of Williams v. State of FL (1926). I was hoping to gather more information on Williams. I am not sure if you can assist me with that. I found some news paper articles about the incident and the murder of his wife. I will be writing not only about Williams, but about his attorney, the judge in the case and maybe even about the superintendent. It seems as if Williams, did not receive a fair trial in 1926.
    Thank you in advance

2. profile image70
    ccbrookesposted 6 years ago

As you are a law student I'm guessing that you already have the following reference: 92 Fla. 987; 111 So. 127; 1926 Fla. But in case you don't, the judge was A. V. Long (of Gainesville), and Williams's attorney on appeal was J. B. Canon. (I have no idea if Canon acted during the trial). Coverage of this case was very skimpy, probably due in large part to Williams's ethnicity, and he was only deemed newsworthy after the bizarre incident in the electric chair. I wish I could be more helpful. Best of luck with your research

3. profile image50
    Heri23posted 6 years ago

Yes I have the citation to the actual case.  I am going to try to obtain the transcripts from the case from the Florida Supreme Court. Although, I am not sure if it is possible, since the case is so old. I did some reasearch on the judge as well, he was a democrat, a former prosecutor. It would be interesting to find out in if judge Long granted Williams a fair trial. The coverage on the case seems to be scarce, as you said probably b/c of his race. If you have or if you come across some news paper clips or articles about the case I would greatly appreciate them.

working