How would you write a story with multiple installments?

1. dmop profile image78
    dmopposted 6 years ago

How would you write a story with multiple installments?

Would you keep adding to the original Hub or create new ones? If you would create new hubs for each post how would you name them?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 6 years ago

I have learned over several years of writing on the web that the best way to add to stories with multiple parts, or continuations, is to use the same title with each hub and adding a dash and a sub-title. For instance:

Teddy Bear - Born In A Cave
    Teddy Bear - Explores The Woods
    Teddy Bear - Discovers Honey
    Etc.

When labeling titles with Part One, Part Two, etc, readers seem to lose their interest because that designates that one must follow hubs in a certain order. This may work for some stories that continue and should be read in order, but I try not to write stories like that. I prefer to write each hub/article in such a way that it can stand on its own.

3. JamaGenee profile image83
    JamaGeneeposted 6 years ago

I agree with Phyllis Doyle.  Installments with "Part 1", Part 2" in the title leave me cold unless I really, really, really like the writer OR the story in general.  Meaning the first installment must contain interesting, well-developed characters AND the beginning of a page-turner plot. 

Phyllis is also correct about writing installments that can stand on their own. Writers of a series of print books do this by tucking pertinent information about main characters and their place in the overall story into the first chapter of each sequel.  Tricky to do within the word-count restrictions of a hub, but it can be done.

If you DO write a story in installments on Hubpages, be sure to group them so readers don't have to go back to your profile page to find the next installment!

working