jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can HubPages give you cred with print publishers and literary agents?

1. Eric Newland profile image62
    Eric Newlandposted 6 years ago

Can HubPages give you cred with print publishers and literary agents?

I'm working on a novel in addition to my HP antics; for me HP is, to some extent, a means to get me back in the practice of writing regularly.

I've read that even small publishing credits can help when you pitch a manuscript. Obviously, HP allows anyone to "publish" as long as their work complies with their basic content and quality rules, but could accomplishments that indicate good quality work, such as high view counts or making HotD, be of interest to the publishing world? Has anyone actually had success mentioning HP in a cover letter?

2. klanguedoc profile image91
    klanguedocposted 6 years ago

Yes very much so. Actually a large publisher of education and IT books saw my tutorials on HubPages and offered me a book contract. After 5 months of preparation: submitting a proposed table of contents, a marketing and sales plan and negotiating the writing agreement, I am happy, ecstatic actually, to say that I have started writing the book. I am on my way to being a "Published Author".

3. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

This is a question that I've wondered a lot myself. I've put hubpages on resumes for jobs and query letters, but so far it hasn't paid off in any meaningful way. I worry that professional agents/publishers will look at HubPages as a sort of blogging website. But, then again, people have gotten published off of blogs as well (Julie and Julia). I think the hardest part would be getting that person to actually look at your profile.

4. NatalieSack profile image60
    NatalieSackposted 6 years ago

I'm glad you asked this question.  The desire to start creating a platform for traditional publishing is what led me to HubPages.  I'll be following this thread closely.

5. DougBerry profile image85
    DougBerryposted 6 years ago

No, but it's given me plenty of street cred.  The pimps all back off when I say I'm on HubPages.  The hoors love me, too.

Actually, one of my former editors posted a link to something I wrote here, so I know that they're paying attention to me, at least.  You, not so much.

See Eric, I sort of used your fomula for answering questions.  Except I failed by making it all silly.

I'm actually using HubPages for the same reasons.  Except I have a total inability to write fiction.  I just need to finish my book about my arcade.  And my Thesis.  It's a few years late for the thesis, but I still feel the urge some days.

working