jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Literary Agents

1. dragonlady1967 profile image83
    dragonlady1967posted 6 years ago

Just finished my book and want to find a reputable publisher.  I keep being told I have to find a literary Agent to intervene for me with the good publishing houses.  How do you find one, and/or any suggestions are much appreciated.

1. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Buy Writers Market (newest version).  They have lists of agents, publishing houses, addresses, tips on how to get noticed, etc.  Its a lot of work though, so don't get discouraged right off the bat.  Keep plugging away at it.

dragonlady1967posted 6 years ago in reply to this

thank you so much megs78.  I appreciate any ideas and help.  :-)

2. tmbridgeland profile image82
      tmbridgelandposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Go to agentquery.com to find a very long list of reputable agents. You can search for an appropriate agent by genre of your book.

Querying takes a long time and lots of work. Keep at it, you may have to send out a hundred queries to get noticed.

There are lots of sites online to teach you to query. Try queryshark.com to see examples of good and bad queries.

Thanks....I will try this :-)

2. ChristinaScibona profile image73
    ChristinaScibonaposted 6 years ago

self-publishing is also an option if you do not want to find an agent...amazon self-publishes along with tons of other places.  Good luck!

Self publishing I can make as many books as I want at a time right?

3. Flightkeeper profile image72
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

If there's a writer's group in your town you might want to ask them for any tips about finding a reputable literary agent.

Cool!  thanks.  I will check into this.  thanks

4. LindaJM profile image78
    LindaJMposted 6 years ago

Just curious! When you say you "just finished" your book, do you mean you finished the first draft, or, have you already revised it a few times?

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago

It's also well worth taking a look at the Writers Beware site, which lists disreputable agencies and publishers.

Other sources of useful information are current writers magazines and The Artists' & Writers' Yearbook.

Self-publishing is very rarely taken seriously by the professional industry.

working