jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When does "cliche" work?

1. MyGirlThursday profile image80
    MyGirlThursdayposted 6 years ago

When does "cliche" work?

As writers, we try to avoid cliche scenes or characters in order to avoid unfair critique of our work, but there are cliches about writers themselves. Is a writer's work invalid because she wrote it in a coffee shop? No, of course not. I hypothesize that cliches exist because they have some basis in fact. Do you agree?

2. Leptirela profile image80
    Leptirelaposted 6 years ago

I totally agree , I do though try and make it my own if you know what I mean! I think it is very important not to over-do-it

3. Peter Allison profile image77
    Peter Allisonposted 6 years ago

Hmmm, I think cliche works best when it is used to focus on the irony of a situation, to throw a bit of snarky understatement into the mix. You can also use a cliche as a starting point to take a scene or situation to a darker/funnier  place. What doesn't work is when cliche, or pop-culture is used as shorthand for summing up a scene without really describing it in any unique way.

4. profile image0
    onlookerposted 6 years ago

I agree with Leptirela, of course a limit should exist but then it goes without saying that any subject matter when over exaggerated becomes a cliche' if you know what i mean.

Closed to reply

working