can good exist without evil?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 11 years ago

I don't think good can exist without evil.

If everything were good, we wouldn't know it. There has to be something to compare it to.

I think when God created the universe, he had to create duality, or pairs of opposites. Male and female, good and evil, light and dark.

I don't think things could exist any other way.

So evil has to exist for the universe to exist.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But that duality is a construct of the observer nothing more.

Good is only good in comparison to something else.  Without gradations of "good" there can be no good better than any other (keep in mind that there is some good even in evil just as there is some evil in all good).

Explain male and female to an amoeba.  While a very smart amoeba might recognize the difference it would hold no significance to him.

Explain light to an eyeless fish, living deep underground.  Or consider that light is a form of energy, that there are other forms or either energy or particulate matter that will pass through the entire earth as if it were transparent (which it is to some energies and particles).

No, these ideas are ideas only, and to use them to claim that it was required of God to use them in creation does not agree with the concept of an omnipotent God at all.  In any case there are more cases of non-dual things in nature than duality or pairs.  Only hydrogen, for instance, can fuse to create helium.  Only carbon can form a diamond.  Only humanity has the ability to leave the earth.  We only have one moon and one sun.  There are 6 points on a benzene ring; a most important chemical.  There are 4 chemicals making up DNA.  There are 3 atoms in a water molecule; another very important chemical. 

The list is endless of the non-duality of nature.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it can, very easily. There is no problem with that.

Not true, acts of goodness don't need anything to compare, there is no reason for comparison.

And yet, there are many things that have no duality. Your point is moot.

Sure, if one has their nose only in the Bible, that might be what one would fallaciously believe. It's merely ignorance.

Completely false.

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Isaiah 45:7
      King James Version (KJV)
      I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

No separate evil entity is required.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brave, most don't like to admit that their God creates evil.

Thumbs up.

2. Jared Miles profile image70
    Jared Milesposted 11 years ago

Note that both good and evil are subjective terms. They both rely on a personal view to support a system of behaviour.

In some cultures, actions or opinions that some would consider 'evil' can be considered by others to be 'good'. However, I do agree that without something to compare with, it is impossible to determine whether something is truly good or evil.

To your question janesix, I agree that good cannot exist without evil. Without evil, there would be none to  strive to benefit from good, and we would not recognise good when we saw it.

Jared Miles

janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sure I agree they are subjective terms.

3. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

Here's a dilemma (brought to you by Dungeons & Dragons!):

You are a Rogue. Your alignment is Chaotic Good, which means you strive to do good at all times, though you feel the law is superfluous; essentially, you're Robin Hood. You hunt down bandits, take their loot, and give it to charities and the poor and what-have-you. You see the lawmakers and their apathy as evil, and do everything in your power to snub it.

You are accosted by a Paladin. His alignment is Lawful Good, which means he strives to do good at all times, but the law is absolute; he is the Hand of Justice, the altruistic holy guy. He sees your appropriation of goods and unsolicited bandit-slaying as evil, and so he must do everything in his power to bring you to justice, either by the courts or by the blade.

Who's the bad guy?

The rogue is the better of the two, he is following what he feels is right. The Paladin is only folloing man-made laws.

I take back what I said. There's really not enough information about either of the two. I suppose The palladin could be the better person. I suppose there's nothing wrong with uphilding man-made laws as long as you agree with them in your heart.

And i suppose the rogue could just be a plain-out asshole, he IS slaying people and all that.

It really is hard to tell.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)