jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it common for poetry contest to have a submission fee?

1. CJ Andrews profile image89
    CJ Andrewsposted 6 years ago

Is it common for poetry contest to have a submission fee?

It has been roughly a decade since I submitted poetry to anything.  I have been thinking about it, but the majority of poetry contests that seem to be easily searched all have submission fees.  Is this common these days, or am I correct in thinking they are getting easy money from people?

2. ytsenoh profile image86
    ytsenohposted 6 years ago

I think some of them have small entry fees, which go towards the pay outs to the first three-place winners.  Several years ago, okay, a lot of years ago when I would enter, then they were accompanied by $5 fees.  I do not think it is uncommon.

3. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 5 years ago

From what I've seen it is not uncommon even in legitimate contests.  Many contests can receive very high volumes of submissions.  These submissions all need to be screened, read and judged.  This takes time and costs money.  The fees go toward the costs of running the contest. 

Still, there are unscrupulous contests that do just what you say.  They charge fees, sometimes large, with the hope of making a profit from the entry fees themselves.  A writer needs to do his due diligence to insure the contest and sponsor are legit before submitting any entry fees.

4. savanahl profile image70
    savanahlposted 5 years ago

I've found that most of the ones that are worth while do have a fee. I did find one that's free. You can go to poetrymillionsdotcom.

5. Silver Poet profile image77
    Silver Poetposted 5 years ago

Most poetry contests are scams, sorry to say. Very few are legitimate. Check out a book called Writer's Market, which lists poetry markets and contests they deem to be worthwhile.

working