jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

:-) ;-) *

1. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

:-)   ;-)   *

These icon, emoticons, etc seem to be finding their way into sentences as though they are punctuation.  Do you enjoy these "items" when you are reading other peoples work? Do you think there is a place for these in writing?  What do you really want to say about all this?  Go Ahead!

2. mkeith profile image62
    mkeithposted 6 years ago

Emoticons should never be used in writing for public consumption.  They are a detraction from any language.

If they are used in a personal note, then I suppose it is fine.  But some of us become very annoyed when they are used frequently.

3. Pamela N Red profile image85
    Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago

They are fun in comments or emails but don't have a place in articles. A personal blog maybe but nothing we want to be taken seriously.

As to my opinion of them, I think they hold an important place since we have no privilege of facial expressions to see when a person is joking or other emotions we want to convey. I think they add fun playfulness to conversation. yikes)

4. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 6 years ago

I take offense to you using them as a question. (Just kidding.) No, I feel they have no business in articles or hubs, or as Pamela says, in anything serious. E-mails ok and maybe a place in comments. Greg

5. rlaha profile image68
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

I think it is okay for people to respond to hubs with comments and emoticons.  However, when the person writing a hub or anything in general uses these emoticons, it gets rather annoying when there is an interesting hub which is plagued by these emoticons.

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think in a situation such as answers it can soften a statement that might be taken wrong - a little smile lets the reader know the writer is being funny or not being nasty.  In serious writing, I think it has no place.  It is for casual communications, here, email, texting etc.

7. Danette Watt profile image83
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

the first year I taught the basic news writing course at the comm college nearby, I had a student who use @ in a sentence in a news article he was writing. Needless to say, I sent it back to him and told him and the others that "text talk" didn't have a place in news stories.

8. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I think it looks tacky and very unprofessional in the text in a hub, etc; but I'm positive that I've done that.

I'll put those in comments though, and don't consider that to be expected to be "professional" as our text should be in the body of a hub.

9. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

I sometimes use these icons; although I prefer not to, I think they are quite pathetic, it sometimes seems as if people want to see them.  They are often used with things like 'LOL'.  It is easy to see when a subject has gone of topic because there is allways a good spattering of icons and LOLs.  Ther is often the explanation that as we're are communicating by means of text, we need them to express emotion, hence, emoticons.  That of course is nonsense, we have punctuation to express that, and is it really important that the recipient knows or believes that we are laughing out loud.

10. SidKemp profile image93
    SidKempposted 6 years ago

I find that emoticons are downright dangerous, unless you are writing to one person who knows you well. I use them only in text messages and short emails (usually replies, rather than original notes) to friends.

What does smile really mean? Am I smiling, making a joke, or asking you to smile? If we don't have a shared meaning for each emoticon, then I will be misinterpreted. And, when trying to convey emotion, misinterpretation leads to hurt and confusion.

If we want to write to a general audience, let's learn to write well, and express ourselves clearly. Otherwise, I may mean smile, but leave people feeling sad!

11. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

When I see these, it tells me that the person is too lazy to right out the whole thought. Personally, I find that there is no place for them in writing. If I see them in a hub, I vote it down and move on. I don't even read the hub, or article because I see it as they don't take their work seriously.