jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How would you update the tale of the tortoise and the hare?

1. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

How would you update the tale of the tortoise and the hare?

This story encourages patience and perseverance in winning a race.  How would you update this for today's children?

2. JohnMello profile image96
    JohnMelloposted 6 years ago

Well... I actually wrote a story called The Cricket and the Snail, which is going to be published by Guardian Angel Publishing soon. Same sort of idea, in that patience and perseverance prove more important than speed.

3. odie_driver profile image60
    odie_driverposted 6 years ago

I think I would change it from winning a race to completing an important task - the one who does it fast without real thought. just to be the first done, does so poorly and it falls apart - the one who takes the time to do the task properly has something that lasts and ultimately "wins".

4. cleaner3 profile image77
    cleaner3posted 6 years ago

Odie, great idea. thats exactly what is needed motivation.
    Being that I like poetry, I would try to make it a fun rhyming poem.

5. leroy64 profile image82
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

I would add a rematch in which the hare does not repeat his mistake and wins like he is expected to.  The tortoise should finish the race anyway; and, he should point out that the only person you really need to compete against is yourself.  Honestly, a lesson about how to handle second place would have been more useful to me growing up than "I could win a race because of someone else's over confidence." 

I also find that the phrase "slow and steady wins the race" is not used in the working world, judging by peoples' actions.

6. parwatisingari profile image60
    parwatisingariposted 6 years ago

I would say courage to face odds, the tortoise enters the rat being aware of the fact that he is most likely going to loose. That takes a lot of courage.

Closed to reply