jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do you write what interest you, or try to write what interest others?

1. rtburroughs2 profile image79
    rtburroughs2posted 6 years ago

Do you write what interest you, or try to write what interest others?

2. loveofnight profile image81
    loveofnightposted 6 years ago

I do a bit of both.I started off writing for myself and rarely shared it.As I grew older and found out just how interesting or the kind of impact some of my words had on others I started including them.Right now it has been more about what interest others.But it still has to be done in a style that pleases me.

3. ArtzGirl profile image79
    ArtzGirlposted 6 years ago

I think that most people are not going to waste their time to write about something unless they have a specialized interest in that subject.  I know that I can speak for myself on this.  I can write articles on things when I have to, but if there is a compelling reason for me to write something, I'm much more inspired to spend the time and write a really good article.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

Since it's not my job, I write what I am interested in, and what think I would want to read about. I know I have kind of off-beat taste, but I hope that there are enough other people who like what I like to keep me going. If something I write gets a good response though, it does encourage me to explore that topic further.

5. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 6 years ago

I write mostly fiction, which is based largely based on my own experiences. The few non-fiction topics that I write on are things that I am interested in, and would like to share with other people.

6. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

If you're writing for publication, you have to produce copy that your chosen editor  thinks will sell.  If you're writing for love, say a journal, then it doesn't matter.
    Rember what Dr. Johnson said, 'No man but a  blockhead wrote other than for money.'

7. Deepak Chaturvedi profile image70
    Deepak Chaturvediposted 6 years ago

when I write in blog it is my choice but often we have to think what others like.So mixture of both.

8. Hypersapien profile image35
    Hypersapienposted 6 years ago

It's kind of like having a lifelong dream of opening a restaurant - do you fill your menu with the type of cuisine you want to offer, or what you think will sell?  For me, it's a mixture.  I write about things that interest me, and toss in some commercial stuff that might pique the interest of others.

9. rainnie526 profile image60
    rainnie526posted 6 years ago

I will do both, but I mostly enjoy writing things that interest me. It gives me the passion to keep on.

10. JamaGenee profile image84
    JamaGeneeposted 6 years ago

Like loveofnight, a bit of both.  In either case, I have to be somewhat passionate about the topic, so I'd be a bust as a ghost writer!

11. Y2G profile image59
    Y2Gposted 6 years ago

Great question. I try to write about what I'm interested in, but in a way that would interest the reader as well.

12. EclecticFusion profile image79
    EclecticFusionposted 6 years ago

I write what I like. I've tried writing for others, but I'm just not that good at it. The writing ends up all choppy and has zero feeling in it. Blah. I'll just stick to what I know!

Awesome question!

13. Sunshine625 profile image94
    Sunshine625posted 6 years ago

Both. I start off with what I want to write and infuse what might interest others. Best of both worlds. Hopefully. At least that's the intended plan smile