jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think the Hunger Games are a suitable book series for young adults?

1. creamsoda profile image85
    creamsodaposted 5 years ago

Do you think the Hunger Games are a suitable book series for young adults?

I loved the Hunger Games trilogy as an adult but am wondering if it's too grim for young adults.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Yes, I think it is too graphically violent for adolescents.  I loved all the books but I would be concerned about all the elaborate ways of killing off other kids in the stories - not a great read for young teens.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image87
    Everyday Miraclesposted 5 years ago

If Harry Potter, which was terrifying in a totally different way, was suitable for young people, then why shouldn't The Hunger Games also be suitable for teen readers? I think that it is a perfectly acceptable series of novels for teenagers through adults, but I do believe that parents should monitor what their children are reading and watching.

I watched the movie tonight (midnight showing) and it wasn't nearly as gruesome as it could have been.

4. wmhoward4 profile image67
    wmhoward4posted 5 years ago

No. The book/movie is based on child sacrifice and children murdering other children. It is not a good thing when these features become a form of entertainment. Is it good to watch a child being poked through with a spear, bodies of kids piled one upon the other, and another battered with bricks? Per haps where giant killer wasps sting a little girl to death is good fun, huh?