jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Any advice for ways to market / promote a book on a budget of next to zero?

1. Nights Dream profile image59
    Nights Dreamposted 5 years ago

Any advice for ways to market / promote a book on a budget of next to zero?

I really need some assistance on this one. My budget is next to zero. I have done some searches. With all the results and scams, it gets slightly confusing.

2. Sparklea profile image74
    Sparkleaposted 5 years ago

Hi Nights Dream smile 
    My sister self published a book a few years ago.  She has not sold a lot, but she is in the same boat as you:  It just costs money to promote a book.  She tried a few things, such as an ad in the New York Times which did NOT pan out as the ad only ran for one day and it cost her $1000.  Huge loss.

It is hard to answer your question, after seeing what my sister has gone through.  Her book is on www.amazon.com and titled "Subtle Deception."  It is a very good book and it's a true story.  She did sell some of her books at a Barnes & Noble book signing and at other book stores.

I'm working on a book.  If I decide to self publish it, this is what I plan to do:
    I will search for and sign up for any writer's conference that I can get to by car.  Alot of these conferences have editors there, and you can schedule a 15 minute appointment with them. 

I have found that if you meet with an editor IN PERSON, SHOW them what you have, and follow up immediately, there's a chance they will either publish what you have, or at least give you advice or suggestions.  Example:  I met with an editor at a conference, sent him my proposed manuscript and mailed it to him right away, reminding him I had met with him.  I managed to publish three articles in their magazine after that.

Also, many writer conference organizers will let you put your book on a table with other books...Lots of times you can sell a few.

I have enough rejection slips to wallpaper my house, but I have learned i just have to keep going.

I know a couple authors who literally drove into a city and sold books from their car.  They are very famous today. They had no other way or means.

I hope this helps.  Regardless, DO NOT EVER GIVE UP.  You have a talent.  Use it, and keep going, no matter what.

3. Khal Blogo profile image60
    Khal Blogoposted 5 years ago

Write an extensive hub about it. Write about how you wrote it, how you got it published, etc. with as many details as possible. There are many people on Hubpages who want to be published authors, and they might buy your book just so see how good a job they could do.

4. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 5 years ago

If you're an author looking for tips to promote your new book, this hub has everything you need to learn to do it on a budget! read more

5. profile image59
    geordmcposted 5 years ago

Safelist sites, Traffic exchanges, E-mails are some ways to advertise for free, if you join and surf their sites. If you want to spend as little as possible these sites also run ads for very little money.