jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Who comes next in reputation to Shakespeare as a writer of English plays?

1. hubpoint profile image60
    hubpointposted 6 years ago

Who comes next in reputation to Shakespeare as a writer of English plays?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6473269_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

George Bernard Shaw I would say. Maybe Christopher Marlowe. The English didn't have many great playwrights. Most of Shakespeare's theatrical works were lifted from plays by Italian Renaissance writers. Of course, the Renaissance style was merely a cheap copy of the style of the Islamic and Byzantine worlds, which the Venetians and Genoans had taken over briefly. But then the Medieval Islamic works and the Byzantine works were just cheap copies of the ancient Roman style, which was itself an imitation of the Classical Greek style. So we are left with Aristophanes, Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides of the Classical Greek world.

3. Historia profile image81
    Historiaposted 6 years ago

I'd nominate Ben Jonson, a contemporary and close friend of Shakespeare himself. He began life as a bricklayer, then turned soldier and fought against the Spanish on the Continent; and on his return to England settled down to writing plays, of which he produced a great number. The most famous of them are: "Every Man in his Humour," "Every Man out of his Humour," "Volpone," and "The Alchemist." In 1616 he was created Poet Laureate-the first poet to be appointed formally to the office under letters patent. His body was buried in Westminster Abbey, in, it is said, an upright position.

4. kloydskii profile image61
    kloydskiiposted 6 years ago

I agree with Historia: BEN JONSON. His play Volpone is very well-written.

working