What are the steps you took when you finished writing your first book and was pl

1. LailaK profile image76
    LailaKposted 5 years ago

What are the steps you took when you finished writing your first book and was planning to publish it

2. tmbridgeland profile image82
    tmbridgelandposted 5 years ago

Well, first I have it edited to remove grammar errors.

Then I have a few other writers read it and critique it for weaknesses. Then I go back and rewrite it to get rid of the weak areas. After a few rounds of that, I start looking for agents who represent my type of writing. I send them query letters and hope to catch their interest. It is a long process. Do a search on Google, or here on Hub pages for suggestions. Lots of good free info out there.

3. BruceDPrice profile image79
    BruceDPriceposted 5 years ago

Did you mean "hoping to publish it"? In that case, you should ask people to read it. This is an art form in itself--learning from their comments. It doesn't help if they don't feel free to react. Here's one device I used. I would say casually, "Just tell me your three favorite things about it, and your three least favorite things." Then shut up, and try to learn from the "least favorite" comments.

Then suppose you have a publisher...Here is a little known secret. The 6 months before publication are often more fun than the 6 months after. There's expectation and hope and fantasy. You can brag to everyone you talk to, plot marketing, and plan a party. In reality, only a few books are big sellers. So it's important to enjoy all the steps.