jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you participate in local writer's groups?

1. TToombs08 profile image74
    TToombs08posted 5 years ago

Do you participate in local writer's groups?

I've been looking into local writer's groups and I haven't taken the plunge yet. Do you participate in local writer's groups? And if you do, do you find them helpful with constructive feedback and encouragement?

2. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

I do not..I wish I have the time to do so...

3. Ciel Clark profile image74
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

I try-- I found it easier when I was a student.  Now with work and kids, it is difficult to  organize everyone to a specific time!  Much easier to "meet" online, although face to face readings are nice.  I do find them helpful and constructive criticism (especially when given gently!) is incredibly useful.

4. Pennypines profile image60
    Pennypinesposted 5 years ago

Yes, I joined a group of freelance writers some years ago, it has been the best thing both for my writing and for my interests.  The tutor was the key personality, and my great regret is that she died rather suddenly two years ago. 
    We decided to carry on, and have been successfully continuing the group.  I have published two books, written for several magazines, and even had one of my stories accepted for broadcast over the local NPR station. 
    It has done a great deal for my self-esteem.

5. TToombs08 profile image74
    TToombs08posted 5 years ago

Thank you all for your helpful answers!

@msorensson: I hear ya. Hubby said if I decide to join, he'd help me find the time to go, he thinks it's that important. smile

@Ciel: I've tried to find online groups (other than hubpages) to get some feedback. I've asked friends to look over stuff, but they are all busy with life stuff, so that hasn't been very productive. And strangers kinda think you're a little off when you shove stuff in their face and ask them to read it. lol (j/k) but I'm getting desperate. smile

@Pennypines: I'm sorry to hear your mentor died. sad It sounds like she was a great influence on your writing. I would love to find someone like that! I hope you have continued success. wow!

6. StephanieBCrosby profile image85
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 5 years ago

I have tried writer's groups before. And with both groups my experiences were awesome.

The first was a group that met at the bookstore in one of the local malls. People would bring in copies of manuscripts and share their experiences with either trying to get it published, self-publishing, etc. And then some of us shared our work to get feedback. And it was very informative. But I only made it to two meetings before my schedule would not allow for it anymore.

The second group was based on first page readings. The NJSWBI brings in editors from surrounding publishing houses to a location in Princeton, usually the Theological Seminary at the University. Everyone puts the first page of any manuscript in the pile. Then two volunteers read the first pages. After each page is read, all the editors give their opinion about the work and some suggestions. It was cool because you were not put on the spot if your manuscript was rough around the edges. Then the editors make themselves available to personally read full manuscripts for those who attended the reading (within a certain time frame after the session, about a month or so). So it's a great way to make it to the short stack if you are ready to be published.

7. RavenBiker profile image60
    RavenBikerposted 5 years ago

Yes!  I found one at the library---or should I say, they found me.  It's an awesome experience in participating in a workshop where the other writers know something of what they do and convey the necessary information, help and encouragement writers need.

If you wish you were a part of a writer's workshop and cannot find one, start one.  In time, you will find writerly relationships! It's help and an experience that cannot be matched!

8. rembrandz profile image85
    rembrandzposted 4 years ago

In the Dubai Writers' Group whenever the agenda for a meeting suits my interests.