jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Do you remember the first time you thought; "I am a writer"?

1. dmop profile image76
    dmopposted 5 years ago

Do you remember the first time you thought; "I am a writer"?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6366774_f260.jpg

2. dahoglund profile image81
    dahoglundposted 5 years ago

This is an interesting question. It somewhat depends on what one means by being a writer. Is it the title? Is it the content? Even after I was writing letters for  a corporation full time, and  wrote on a weekly newspaper  I still did not feel like a real writer. That might be because at that time I felt a writer was someone who wrote for magazines or published books. A better definition might be when one gets paid for writing, but that doesn't do it  either. The true thing might be to just write and not worry about "being a writer."

3. DanaTeresa profile image82
    DanaTeresaposted 5 years ago

When I was in seventh grade we were already given assignemtns to write term papers. My history teacher asked if I was going to be a writer. I said no! For some silly reason I didn't thnk I could be - even when I was being asked to be a reporteer for the school paper, and being asked by professors for copies of research papers, and being invited to tutor writing classes. A few months ago, I stumbled upon hubpages and thought it was about time I give writing a shot. I love it. It just feels right. I feel like I am meant to be a writer. Now it is time to develop my skills so that I can finally be who I am meant to be.

4. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

I was in high school, I wrote and people started liking what I wrote. I started a creative writing class that I enjoyed.

5. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I never thought "I am a writer" at all.  I started writing poetry when my first husband sent me to therapy for what he called "bad behaviors".  It was "suggested" that writing about the emotional pain I was feeling might be a good alternative coping mechanism to cutting myself. At first I rejected the idea, but eventually came around to it.  I found I thoroughly enjoyed it and it became a positive force in my life.  So now when Iife gives me lemons, I write.

6. rfmoran profile image90
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

About midway through my first book this thought occurred to me. Although most of us write constantly, there is something about writing for its own sake that gives you an identity change in your own mind.

7. profile image53
    Aliseenposted 5 years ago

I have had work published by an on-line magazine for the past two years but I still didn't consider myself a writer.  I became a topic editor with that company, editing other people's work, but I still didn't consider myself a writer.  Then I undertook a 5 week creative writing course at my local arts centre and that opened up a new way of thinking for me.  Because of that experience, I started a novel, which I am still working away at and I'm getting excited about where the story will go.  It's developing as I write and it's almost as if it's writing itself.  The hard thing will be to get a publisher to take it seriously, but, in the meantime, I'm now thinking I'm going to be a writer.  That's my dream.

8. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

When I had a book signing at a local bookstore. People wanted me to autograph my book.  Then at church someone came up to me for an autograph in my book. It was quite kick both embarrassing and cool at the same time - but it passed quickly and I soon went back to doubting myself and thinking it might be a little egotistical on my part to call myself a writer.  Not sure why though.

9. Eric Calderwood profile image82
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

It was in fifth grade when I wrote my first short story.  It was for an assignment in school and was only two written pages long.  It was one of those mystery stories that only has the main character and the bad guys (kind of like Owen's story in Throw Momma From the Train, "The guy in the hat killed the other guy in the hat).  But still I had written a story and I was proud of it.

10. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

From early schools years I have entertained my schoolmates by telling them stories I have made up...later on I started to write them down and my teacher of Slovak and Russian language had eventually asked me to read them to the class...It got my new friends and some status in the classroom hierarchy and I have suddenly realized that I have 'a power with words'...

11. glmclendon profile image60
    glmclendonposted 5 years ago

Yes and I still ask the same question

Stay Well

working