jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Can you be successful writing rich content only while ignoring/spending little t

1. brakel2 profile image81
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

Can you be successful writing rich content only while ignoring/spending little time on SEO?

There is an abundance of rich content online. However, some writers say they just think of what topics and keywords are popular. Google is downplaying SEO also and emphasizing rich content. How can you compete?

2. Sue B. profile image97
    Sue B.posted 5 years ago

I think this is a very good question.
    SEO boggles my mind so I do not  pay attention to it.  I am assuming the top earners under SEO and utilize it to their advantage.
    To answer the question if we can be successful ignoring SEO, I think it depends upon what you believe is successful.  I don't spend time on SEO just because I don't feel as though I understand it and it takes away from the enjoyment I receive from writing.  I may about $50 per month on hubpages.  I think this is modestly successful.
    I often wonder how much I could make if I had an SEO make over!  I think you can still be successful without focusing on SEO but it is becoming pretty clear to me that it is important for your overall success when writing online.

3. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 5 years ago

Although I've been writing for HubPages and EzineArticles for nearly three years, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to writing articles online and SEO.  I know that I still have a lot to learn.  With that said, there are two critical elements that is consistent with every successful online article that I've learned:

1) Content - Time and again I'm always reminded that content is king.  It always has been and always will be keywords pertaining to the subject matter.

2) Relevance - Having a high rank via Google (or Big G) is based off of relevance.  How relevant is your article in conjunction with a search word or words?  And when I say High Rank I mean pages 1 and 2 (or PR1 and PR2) in Google search.  80% of everyone who does a Google search won't even view page 3 and beyond in their search.

Unfortunately you cannot compensate for anything else if you are indeed adamant about receiving exposure which of course equates to clicks, sales, etc.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

Being successful without SEO is kind of like throwing a dart at a target while the room is pitch black. You're relying entirely on luck that you will write something that is a popular search topic. Using myself as an example, HubPages seems to appreciate my writing since they've given me a 100 user hubscore on numerous occasions. However on the traffic side of things (and therefore the earnings side) I produce pitiful results. I have 129 hubs and yet I barely made $5 last month. That comes after a several month decline in revenue that doesn't seem to be ending. So it's very hard to reconcile my HubPages user score, with my poor traffic performance. While I'm sure some people ignore SEO and are still successful, I'm not one of them and I wouldn't recommend it if money is your ultimate goal. If you're just here to write for fun, then you can do whatever you want without worry.

5. Jason Oleinik profile image71
    Jason Oleinikposted 5 years ago

Dremer is right on the money. You'll definitely want to get some SEO knowledge if you want to make money on Hubpages to go along with good content. I would consider myself an SEO noobie but I think I helped my hubs a lot by learning and applying basic SEO tricks like backlinks and keyword research. Currently I make about 20$ a month with 23 hubs which I think is pretty good for such a small number.

1. brakel2 profile image81
      brakel2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I never expected the interest produced by this question. The answers exceed my expectations, and give a good picture of SEO. Rich content is not the answer, unless you want to bet on luck. Thank you for your responses. Good luck writing and earning m

working