Do people prefer fantasy books, or books about people that they can relate to?

1. ssmith1534 profile image72
    ssmith1534posted 5 years ago

Do people prefer fantasy books, or books about people that they can relate to?

I've wanted to write books all my life, and have taken an interest in writing about characters that lead regular lives. Of course exciting, yet realistic things happen to them, but I just didn't see myself writing about vampires, wolves, or anything like that. What do you think? Thanks in advanced for the comments!

2. chipped teacup profile image93
    chipped teacupposted 5 years ago

I love fantasy books.  I think even in a fantastical setting, you can still relate to the characters.  However, if you don't like vampires and wolves, etc., don't write about them!  Write what you want to write about not what you think other people want to read.

3. neildabb profile image73
    neildabbposted 5 years ago

If people can't relate to the characters, whether human or super human, they won't read the story.  I'm a member of a writing group, and one of the first comments on any story, is are the characters real.  Fantasy books can have characters that us mere mortals can relate to, it just takes a writer willing to carefully craft those characters.

working