jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

I enjoy the urban fantasy genre of writing. What urban fantasy books would you r

1. Catherine Kane profile image79
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

I enjoy the urban fantasy genre of writing. What urban fantasy books would you reccommend?

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I've heard that Emma Bull's War for the Oaks was the first book called Urban Fantasy. In any case, it's among the best.

3. ibbarkingmad profile image82
    ibbarkingmadposted 5 years ago

I would suggest the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Book 1 is called Stormfront. It is my favorite. Don't waste your time with the Sci-fi channel attempt at adapting the series. It is okay, but not great. The reader for the majority of the audiobooks in this series is James Marsters (Spike from Buffy & Angel) and he does an amazing job!
    I would also recommend the Nightside series by Simon R. Green. Book one is called Something From the Nightside. Simon R. Green also does another series that is based in the same universe but seperate from the Nightside series called the Secret Histories. I suggest reading that after you finish the main arch in the Nighside series (it is still going). Book one of that is called The Man with the Golden Torc.
    Also, I would suggest looking at short story books that have the above authors listed. That is how I discovered Simon R. Green's works. Short stories are a good way to find out about how a writer writes without investing too much into it.

1. Catherine Kane profile image79
      Catherine Kaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks ib. Those are good reccomendations and three of my favorite series

2. ibbarkingmad profile image82
      ibbarkingmadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The Iron Druid series came highly recommended to me. I'm working on reading some more of this genre. I'm also working on my own book to add to the genre, but that's a ways out. Glad to see you enjoy those great series!

3. Catherine Kane profile image79
      Catherine Kaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

who wrote the iron druid series?

4. ibbarkingmad profile image82

Kevin Hearne. Here is his website. http://www.kevinhearne.com/books

4. isabelamadaun profile image61
    isabelamadaunposted 5 years ago

Have you tried reading patricia briggs's Mercades Thompson and Alpha and Omega series?  They are just awesome with just enough romance to make it interesting but tons of characters and creatures with different rules and social structures.  It's worth looking into if urban fantasy is your fav genre.

1. ibbarkingmad profile image82

Also try the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. I also enjoy Monster Hunters International series and the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia. Finally, while it is young adult fiction, I find the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer is great.

working