Any advice on writing under the genre of fantasy?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. mcleodgi profile image61
    mcleodgiposted 11 years ago

Any advice on writing under the genre of fantasy?

I have been finding myself getting into fantasy lately and am considering writing some pieces of that genre, any advice?

2. John Sarkis profile image80
    John Sarkisposted 11 years ago

To quote Albert Camus: "create your own world," do not follow any guidelines....

3. hayleejalyn profile image60
    hayleejalynposted 11 years ago

The greatest thing about writing fantasy is that your bounds are pretty limitless. That being said, the biggest 2 things you want to avoid are a.) arbitrary facts or events. (___ is a certain way because I, the author, say that it is.) and b.) at all costs, avoid deus ex machina. Both things can make your fantasy world lose its credibility. And as a fantasy writer, you are all about creating a credible world.

4. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years ago

I should say straight away that I'm no expert on fantasy writing, but I would suggest that one criterion above all sets great writing apart from mediocre writing in any field - relevence to human beings.

In fantasy, or related genre like science fiction, anyone can create monsters, weird magical or mystical events, strange worlds, people with strange powers etc. But what raises the story from being a mere fantasy or action adventure without substance, is to make it poignant, a story which touches a nerve, or which is allegorical. The story - however fantastical - must have sentiments and emotions with which human beings in the real world can identify.

Therefore, I would suggest first thinking of a theme which interests you and which has significance to humans in the real world, and then simply substitute fantasy characters and situations which mirror that theme. (For example 'Animal Farm' was an allegorical fantasy novel about communism - even tho' the characters are animals, people could identify with their situation as an analogy of the real world).

5. TToombs08 profile image78
    TToombs08posted 11 years ago

A fellow hubber, KDuBarry (http://kdubarry03.hubpages.com/) has some excellent advice in the form of hubs on writing fantasy and science fiction. He also has some fabulous examples of his own writing.

6. Abluesfornina profile image59
    Abluesforninaposted 11 years ago

I'm so excited for you wanting to write fantasy. I'm going to pass the advice given to me to you. When you want to write under a certain genre, the first thing to do is to research it, to get an idea of what you like by pinning down the writer's whom you admire most, their writing style and even those whom inspired them in that field. You might find you have something or a lot in common. Then go on line for free courses unless you can pay for a course (if you haven't already taken one). Learn all you can regarding the field you want to write in. You may not even have to go in too deep depending on the experience you already have under your belt but these are some of the things I was taught when I first started.

7. CrazedNovelist profile image85
    CrazedNovelistposted 11 years ago

It really depends on what sub-genre you want to write in. High Fantasy, Paranormal Fantasy, and Urban Fantasy are pretty good sub-genres. Pick one of those and then go with it, try to follow the formula on what's common and put your own spin on it. Then write to your heart's content. I've been writing fantasy for six years. I just kinda wrote what I felt like writing, creating worlds and characters as I pleased. Once you have it all down, tweak it and contort to your liking. It'll come to shape sooner or later. smile You can motivate yourself by reading my hub Motivating Yourself To Write Fantasy--->http://crazednovelist.hubpages.com/hub/Writing-Fantasy AND read up on Creating A Magic System--->http://crazednovelist.hubpages.com/hub/Creating-A-Magic-System. Hopefully this helps.

8. wtaylorjr2001 profile image60
    wtaylorjr2001posted 11 years ago

Take a deep breath and relax. As you feel your arms relax, and you feel your shoulders relax, and you feel your neck relax, take a deep slow breath. As you let that breath of air out, close your eyes, or keep them open, and imagine someone who is just the right age, who is just the right size and gender. Take your time as you relax and get to know that person. Know what that person likes and hates, what that person fears and is apathetic towards, and of course, know what that person loves. Know who that person loves. And become aware of what that person wants. Is that person a seventeen year old college freshman who loves ping pong and wants to fit in with his classmates who are older than him? And consider his rival, the ever popular king of the class who maintains his supremacy with three of the seven words of power. Let your mind and heart flow naturally into a story that, when it's done, you look at it ...
    and smile.

9. Dallas Matier profile image86
    Dallas Matierposted 11 years ago

I want to try to avoid repeating any advice you've already been given, so I'll focus on another area.

The thing that really separates fantasy (and science fiction, too, really) from any other genre is that so much of it will rely purely on your own imagination. Of course, any genre of fiction requires you to come up with a good story, and some interesting characters - but, once that's done, you can usually just get started and work out the details as you go. You might need to do some research on different topics to flesh things out, but you can worry about that when you need to.

With fantasy, though, you have to create the fictional world before you can write in it. If you're going for full Tolkien style high fantasy, then you'll need to come up with imaginary societies and cultures (and, everything that comes with that). But, even if you're setting it in the real world, there's still things you need to think about. Because, it's fantasy... it wont be the 'real world', will it?

If you want magic to exist in the world, then you need to give some thought to exactly how magic works. What are the rules? What are the limits? If you want to populate the world with fantasy creatures, you need to decide what exists and what doesn't. And, you need to decide how they work, too. Are vampires harmed by sunlight, for example? Or, do they (ugh!) sparkle? Are you going to base the story on a christian world-view, so that demons and angels actually exist? Is it going to be based on some other religion, or ancient mythology? If so, which one?

Obviously, you don't need to go overboard, though. You just need to create whatever is necessary for the story you want to tell. If you're writing a short-story about a haunted house, for example, you only need to make decisions about ghosts. Whether werewolves also exist in this fantasy world you're building doesn't matter for that story.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)