jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)

Do you ever re-read a favourite novel? If so, how many times?

1. JKenny profile image94
    JKennyposted 5 years ago

Do you ever re-read a favourite novel? If so, how many times?

2. Jools99 profile image92
    Jools99posted 5 years ago

James, I have read 'Behind the Scenes At The Museum' by Kate Atkinson 6 or 7 times and I always find something new to admire about it every time.  I even went on a day out in York (where it is set) and walked down all of the streets mentioned in the book - it brought it to life for me even more.

I have also read all of Sue Townsend 'Adrian Mole' books at least 5 times each, I never get sick of laughing at loud at them!

This is a great question - you'll get more answerers along soon I'm guessing yikes)

3. Jennifer Stone profile image86
    Jennifer Stoneposted 5 years ago

Yes, definitely, and as many times as possible! I like to keep books so that I can re-read them when the mood hits me, but at the moment I'm working my way through the Stephen King section of my local library (all the ones I haven't already read) so am forced to take them back when I've finished! I did just read Chapman's Odyssey by Paul Bailey twice before I took it back, I highly recommend it!

4. ThePelton profile image68
    ThePeltonposted 5 years ago

I've read "Pride of Chanur" by C.J. Cherryh at least four.

5. annart profile image86
    annartposted 5 years ago

'Pride & Prejudice' is one of my favourites and I re-read that quite often, probably at least 6 times to date.
    'Jane Eyre' is one I've also read about 3 or 4 times.
    A more up-to-date one is 'From the Corner of his Eye', a Dean Koontz novel which is so well written; the storyline is gripping, the characters stand out from the page and the ending is really satisfying!  I've read that 3 times and am about to read it again.
    'The Book Thief' (Marcus Kusak) is a must for re-reading; too much to take in the first time.
    There are many children's novels I love to re-read, as well as reading to my grandchildren:
    Goodnight Mr Tom, Tom's Midnight Garden, Moondial and Carbonel are great, even if the latter is a little dated, also Alan Garner's 'Weirdstone of Brisingamen'.
    I think any book worth its salt stands the test of time and can be read as often as you like.  It shouldn't pall and it should entertain every time; you never notice every detail and nuance in just one read.

6. UnnamedHarald profile image96
    UnnamedHaraldposted 5 years ago

Definitely. Some that come to mind:

Children of Men by P. D. James (so much better than the movie).

Many of Clive Barker's books, like Weaveworld, Imagica, Books of Blood (though that's a series of short stories).

LOTR, The Hobbit by Tolkien

Great question.

7. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I read every one of my favorite novels twice or three times a year.

8. teyeger82 profile image77
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

I never set out to re-read anything but I often realize I am re-reading something. I usually go ahead and finish it because even though I remember reading it, I do not remember how it ended, etc.

9. Steven Gray profile image83
    Steven Grayposted 5 years ago

I try to re-read The Count of Monte Cristo and the Lord of the Rings series each year, and have for the past five.

10. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Yes, I'll re-read one once if I really loved it. This is because I can sometimes enjoy a book more if I already know the plot and can focus on more on the form of the author and pick up any details I missed or forgot.

11. Ann1Az2 profile image67
    Ann1Az2posted 5 years ago

I used to re-read novels when I was a kid. I think I read Tom Sawyer a couple of times. Black Beauty was my favorite, though. I read it 6 times! Over the years, I've read a lot of novels, but I don't usually read them again. As I've gotten older, the only book I read over and over is the Bible.

12. LilaDaley profile image65
    LilaDaleyposted 5 years ago

Yes, there are some books that I have read 3 and 4 times. I read The Great Gatsby every 6 months. Why?  I don't really know but I learn something new from it each time.

1. Ann1Az2 profile image67
      Ann1Az2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good grief, I haven't read The Great Gatsby since I was in school! What a great read. I should read it again since it has been about 45 years since I read it. Remember the movie? Didn't it have Robert Redford in it as the Great Gatsby?

13. Victoria Anne profile image97
    Victoria Anneposted 5 years ago

I've read Ender's Game at least 5 times and each Harry Potter book 2 or 3 times.