jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What are some of your favorite mythological characters?

1. Der Meister profile image70
    Der Meisterposted 5 years ago

What are some of your favorite mythological characters?

2. chipped teacup profile image91
    chipped teacupposted 5 years ago

I love the sphinx, I find her to be a beautiful character.  I also love the riddles she tells.

3. Bretsuki profile image79
    Bretsukiposted 5 years ago

I have always enjoyed the stories of Odysseus from Homer's Illiad and The Oddyssey.
    I think the portrayal of the classical hero all stem from those two epic poems.

4. Cristale profile image88
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

Medusa from Greek mythology and the Seductive Sea Sirens from Greek poet Homer's "Odessey"

I love how Medusa can turn men to stone by looking into their eyes...kinda cool. The Sea Sirens remind me of "Oh Brother, Where Are Thou" with George Clooney.

1. Bretsuki profile image79
      Bretsukiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hello Cristale, you are right about the sea  sirens and O Brother Where Art Thou. The movie was, I believe, a modern interpretation of the Oddyssey

5. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image87
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 5 years ago

I think my favorites have to be the people in Aeschylus' "Oresteian Trilogy" (Agamemnon, Clytemnestra, Electra, Orestes, Iphigenia). I was led to their stories because I'm an opera fan. I don't really like Strauss' "Elektra", but there is something haunting about the way she enters calling "Agamemnon, Agamemnon! Wo bist du?". And of course Gluck had an obsession with Iphigenia.

I really felt like it was a "sign of the nerd" when I read the Orestia...and I liked it! And I mean REALLY liked it!